No announcement yet.

Firefox Finally Outperforming Google Chrome In SunSpider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

However, there's no PWA to make some of my fav websites clickable on my desktop. Facebook Messenger notification and calling don't work. Chromecast is not supported. My bank also doesn't support Firefox, even though it supports Brave and all other Chromium browsers. Firefox on mobile is far laggier than Chrome, especially when pull to refresh is enabled.

Memory leaks and poor real world performance are common in Firefox. Especially, on Manychat's Flows editor, Firefox is extremely laggy and eating my RAM like there's no tomorrow.

I am suffering far too much from using Firefox myself. It's to the point that I am willing to give up on hardware video acceleration (Wayland) at any moment. Moving from Chrome to Firefox is my biggest mistake in years.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
      Even if Chrome is faster than Firefox, I still choose Firefox to encourage competition.
      One of the reasons why I choose Windows for my desktops.
      Linux is on my mobile, on the router, at work all my code runs on linux.

So at least on a desktop I can consciously choose the last major commercial operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

One of the reasons why I choose Windows for my desktops.
        Linux is on my mobile, on the router, at work all my code runs on linux.

So at least on a desktop I can consciously choose the last major commercial operating system.

I choose Windows on the desktop and on the server because I REALLY believe strongly in Microsoft's approach to OS design and development:
        • OS has its own development SDK, API and language that isn't shared with any external toolkits or languages,
        • Kernel ABI is so damned stable binary drivers for an Nvidia GT 210 from Vista x64 still work in Win 11,
        • Near 100% vendor support for all devices, especially 802.11ax USB adapters
        • being able to develop and build software downwards in Win 11 and have the resultant binary function in Win 7)
        • Proprietary commercial enterprise software 'just works' on Windows. And only Windows, most of the time.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 16 August 2023, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jesup View Post
          A profile showing the lagginess (and perhaps an about:memory report) would help see if there's a perf bug you're hitting (or if it's a specific site or set of sites; some sites just leak memory like crazy or do too much causing jank (laggy response)). File a bug in the Core::Performance area of bugzilla with a profile and maybe memory report.
          For reference, the browser I'm typing in has ~7500 tabs in 34 windows (with 6 pinned tabs in one), and 87 tabs currently loaded (but that often goes up to 150 or even 200), and I have no problems. (admittedly 64GB threadripper, but I'm only using ~30% of my RAM currently). (34 windows + 6 pinned tabs means just opening the browser loads 40 tabs)
          Lol may I ask: do you have a RL?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I choose Windows on the desktop and on the server because I REALLY believe strongly in Microsoft's approach to OS design and development:
            • OS has its own development SDK, API and language that isn't shared with any external toolkits or languages,
            • Kernel ABI is so damned stable binary drivers for an Nvidia GT 210 from Vista x64 still work in Win 11,
            • being able to develop and build software downwards in Win 11 and have the resultant binary function in Win 7)
            • Proprietary commercial enterprise software 'just works' on Windows. And only Windows, most of the time.
            If it works for you fine. You could Team up with birdie. On tinder you both would match.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              And since I've spent almost almost a decade developing my own custom theme for XFCE, even translating it from GTK 2 to GTK 3, I had to give up on Firefox before I could even get started.
              Either your theme is missing something or you didn't select "use system theme" in firefox. I can just select any random dark theme in xfce and everything in firefox is readable. Since they do their own shittty UI it will never 100% integrate but that is a broader problem in XFCE since gtk 3/4.

Theming and UI ist just one part of modern firefox that sucks. But I never understood what those "it's slow"-guys are talking about, I used it on old hardware and never had a performance problem.

You may look at Waterfox, I'm currently testing it to replace Firefox. It feels a lot better and comes without many anoying "FF features" that you can't undo in the settings.

Comment

it's the IT dept of the company that added the browser-neutral clause and Microsoft that signed the contract with it, not this self-entitled delusional user

and the point of it is using web standards that work everywhere (including Firefox unless Firefox implements a standard in a broken manner) so we don't get stuck in a tech corner with a legacy version of a broken unsafe browser like IE...

...whereas Office 365 and other offending websites/webapps frequently use cryptic browser-specific features needlessly or rely on broken implementation or blatantly refuse to work under determined user agents (but sometimes work fine if this user agent is faked)

don't forget IE did look like a good browser for a while, and websites optimized or ran exclusively on it and nobody thought it was an issue at the time... until it started turning into a trashy broken slow insecure browser and all those websites were effectively held hostages for a while

and I may not have been crystal-clear but I started my last post with a tidbit about a MS Teams feature that only works in Firefox precisely to point out how something freaking stupid simple like percent encoding can still get botched in some browsers and not others because it's implemented in dumb ways that are not adherent to browser-neutral web standards

the irony that the feature imemented by microsoft devs works as intended in FF but not on Edge nor the Teams desktop app (which are Microsoft's) in Win11 (which is Microsoft's) is a nice perk of the story but not a pro-firefox lobby... it's a pro-browser-neutral-stuff lobby
                Last edited by marlock; 16 August 2023, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Of course there's vendor support for niche anything and proprietary crap works on windows, they were built for use on windows because they wanted to sell them to normal people. MS has used C# dot net and all that crap as a weapon for decades at this point, a massive negative in my book. But aren't they on rust now for OS/driver stuff? It's nice that windows binaries have backwards compatibility, but the Linux way of being mostly forwards compatible is the main thing and Linux does that well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

On my 5900HX, Firefox is very unresponsive and/or laggy with 20-30 tabs open. And regarding RAM: I have 32 GB, of which I rarely use more than half. I don't have this issue with Falkon or Chromium.

And 20-30 seems reasonable, given that a lot of Phoronix users have 50+ tabs open…
                    Not sure how this can be relevant as a point of comparison, but FYI, I quite often have two Firefox profiles each loaded with a background session of 150+ tabs and at least 40 active ones, and it's snappy. Only 16 Go RAM and mid-range 2019 intel processor.

It may be that you tend to use websites / appliances that are more process-intensive, while mine (apart from lots of Jira/Confluence to assess tickets) is overall "plain documentation pages". Still Chrome desperately crashes whenever I try to load it with 1/10th of what I load Firefox with... xd

Comment

Originally posted by jesup View Post
                      A profile showing the lagginess (and perhaps an about:memory report) would help see if there's a perf bug you're hitting (or if it's a specific site or set of sites; some sites just leak memory like crazy or do too much causing jank (laggy response)). File a bug in the Core::Performance area of bugzilla with a profile and maybe memory report.
                      For reference, the browser I'm typing in has ~7500 tabs in 34 windows (with 6 pinned tabs in one), and 87 tabs currently loaded (but that often goes up to 150 or even 200), and I have no problems. (admittedly 64GB threadripper, but I'm only using ~30% of my RAM currently). (34 windows + 6 pinned tabs means just opening the browser loads 40 tabs)
                      if there isn't a typo, could you please enlighten me/us on your use-cases? I'm already among the heaviest crunchers for tabs (quite often 400 peak), and I already have trouble at times in spite of the big help TreeStyleTabs brings to auto-organize and mass-close them.

Apart from the monitoring of a large-scale infrastructure with each tab being a view of a specific application monitoring, with lots of apps on lots of servers... I admit I don't have any idea of how to wield thousands of tabs. ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X