Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Lands APNG Export Support

Phoronix: LibreOffice Lands APNG Export Support

Future LibreOffice releases will finally better handle animated PNG (APNG) files. After initial import support was added back in June, merged this week was initial export support for APNG files...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Animated PNG, wow that's a new one to me, sounds interesting. Right now I am using Libre Office 7.5.5.2 It's going to most likely be a wee bit down the road before this is on my system. This does sound like something worth spending some time and experimenting with.
    Last edited by creative; 13 August 2023, 01:31 PM.

Comment

What about better use of multithreading and massive bloat code cleaning? What about improving Calc a lot more? What about massively improving PDF import too?

A robust and usable collaborative editing method would be quite good for many tasks. Right now, Google Docs is still better at this than all the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        What about better use of multithreading and massive bloat code cleaning? What about improving Calc a lot more? What about massively improving PDF import too?
        Because no student sent a concrete GSoC project proposal about those, but they did for APNG support.

Comment

If you were, like me, wondering why someone invented APNG when we already had MNG, then Wikipedia has a nice explanation unter "History" here

I

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

A robust and usable collaborative editing method would be quite good for many tasks. Right now, Google Docs is still better at this than all the rest.
            I admit that forking OOo for that result 13 years later is a bit underwhelming to say the least.

It still looks and feels the exact same as 10 years ago. Office is not threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by Misel View Post
              If you were, like me, wondering why someone invented APNG when we already had MNG, then Wikipedia has a nice explanation unter "History" here

I
              As always with Wikipedia, you should also check the sources. It only cites Mozilla developers claiming the MNG library is too big but it does not mention that the linked bug report to re-enable MNG support had the most votes of all bug reports, nor the travesty of how they treated Glenn Randers-Pehrson, author of MNG, who worked for months shrinking the MNG library, only to at the end get told that "it was never simply about size".

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

I admit that forking OOo for that result 13 years later is a bit underwhelming to say the least.

It still looks and feels the exact same as 10 years ago. Office is not threatened.
                It's still better than OOo, but that's a very easy achievement in my humble opinion. But the root problems haven't been resolved. I think the codebase still needs to be massively cleaned.

Office is crap, specially that 365 shit and cloud defecation. But LibreOffice needs to evolve to be a lot more than an outdated Microsoft Office clone.

But of course, a lot better optimized and less bloated too. Right now Office has a lot better multithreading than LibreOffice, ironically. I would love to see some benchmarks too.

Comment

Working...
                X