Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6 Development Progressing Well, Plasma 6 Beta Possible In A Few Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
    Why is there an Applications tab in the Applications menu? Shouldn't everything be application related in the Applications menu? Why is Places in there when places aren't applications? Why have two sections within the Places tab within the Applications menu that list recently and frequently used Files when files are neither applications nor places?

Why have a list of places that are configured by Dolphin in the Applications menu that all launch Dolphin when you click them? Why not just launch Dolphin and select from the same list of Places in its own UI? Or if you want to get to those places even quicker, why not just have those places available in a Jump List for Dolphin?

Looking at some pictures of the History and Recently Used list, I see that they list Applications, too. But why is that in the Places tab and not the Applications tab in the Applications menu?

Also can you disable File and Application history? In that case Places would only have one usable item on its left side and all it would do is give you a bunch of ways to launch Dolphin.

Why not just get rid of Places tab altogether and use the regained space on the left side to add a category for History that shows Recently and Frequently used Applications if History is enabled?
    F9 to enable/disable the Places pane in Dolphin

Your other Dolphin Issue:
    Right Click Somewhere In Places
    Left Click Unlock
    Right Click Recent
    Left Click Hide Section Recent
    Repeat As Necessary

As far as your Application Launcher Places stuff, I don't use that launcher because of the issues you point out and more. I've always though that Recents/History should be its own menu next to Places (with on/off toggles in the Configuration Menu). I've also thought that the entire left hand side pane of every Application Launcher menu should be bottom justified with the list inverted if the menu toolbar is on the bottom of the screen and top justified (how it is now) when the toolbar is on the top. Those would make it a lot more mouse friendly without changing anything for people who Win Key+Type for stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      Loading performance when logging in needs some work. That's the only thing I want.
      It's a good desktop it just needs the dark theme applied and I like my taskbar about the size of default i3wm's or fluxbox's. I do the same thing with XFCE small taskbar/panel at the top of screen. I mean you can pretty much customize quite a bit in it. It took me awhile but I realized you can run the compositor all the time, it gets auto-disabled upon game launch now that is nice! There is a number of things that keeps me from using it a whole lot though. I just trick out XFCE and it looks and runs great.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        F9 to enable/disable the Places pane in Dolphin

Your other Dolphin Issue:
        Right Click Somewhere In Places
        Left Click Unlock
        Right Click Recent
        Left Click Hide Section Recent
        Repeat As Necessary
        Oh I don't have an issue with Dolphin having these things. I only really mentioned Dolphin in terms of how the Application Launcher needless repeats it's functionality. In Gnome there's a privacy setting to shut off File History. When you do that, it automatically removes the Recent option in Nautilus because it no longer has a function. If the same option exists in Plasma (it doesn't as far as I could tell) then it would make more of the Places tab in the Applications Launcher useless.

It feels like the Application Launcher borrows too much in design philosophy from the later Windows Start Menus in that it kind of just contains whatever. It doesn't really reconsider what functionality it needs to provide in the context of the rest of the UI. Even though it's weird to have a Places tab in something called the Application Launcher, it at least provides some potentially unique functionality if you don't have don't have pinned places in you file manager. But once you have
        • The ability to pin places in Dolphin
        • The ability to get jump lists when right clicking application icons in the taskbar
        • The ability for Dolphin's jump list to show it's pinned places
        • Dolphin pinned right next to Application Launcher in the taskbar
        ...then there's no point in the Application Launcher's Places tab at all. Especially when the first item on the list is how places get Pinned into the Places tab anyway.

Granted I also have an issue with how so many DEs, KDE included, auto-groups applications. You can very easily have one or more groups with just one application in it so there's no real reason to have it in a group. I'd much rather have applications be top-level unless they need to be grouped. I realize you can technically do that with KDE Menu Editor but it's not very intuitive and the Launcher is still designed around things on the left side being Categories. In fact, it does that out of the box with the Help application and it's so inconsistent with everything else on the left side. It's also weird that KDE Menu Editor doesn't have an Apply button and instead requires you to press Save in the toolbar.

Comment

I mean heck, if nothing else it's the whole package that is kde that you can pull from on other desktops, Filelight is damn impressive and very useful a very quick without opening a terminal look at what's hogging space, it's more than just amusing. I don't mind using Konsole at all it's a nice emulator.

Comment

I hope it gets delayed enough so Kubuntu 24.04 LTS stays in KDE 5. I was in this rodeo before and I like to jump in only after the X.2 or X.3 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
              If the same option exists in Plasma (it doesn't as far as I could tell) then it would make more of the Places tab in the Applications Launcher useless.
              It has the option. There's a privacy checkbox in per Activity settings, allowing fine tuning of it.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                I hope it gets delayed enough so Kubuntu 24.04 LTS stays in KDE 5. I was in this rodeo before and I like to jump in only after the X.2 or X.3 release.
                It's almost equally frustrating in Debian. Bookworm is now frozen on 5.27.5 but the list of bug fixes in the following point releases is significant, especially for Wayland. I guess Plasma needs a slightly different approach in distros than is common for GNOME, or maybe Plasma needs longer development cycles. Probably GNOME has more corporate funded upstream involvement. Not sure, but the first couple point releases in Plasma are always frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I wish we could get the old 3D-style inferfaces from the late 80's/early 90's with 3D shadows back. I know that's not to everyone's taste either, but at least it was very easy to distinguish everything. But even late 90's/early 00's non-flat design would be better. Now don't get me wrong: it doesn't have to look that old, I just mean a modern version of those designs.

Looks like I'll be sticking to Kvantum or Skulpture on Plasma 6, like I do now on Plasma 5. (Yes, good ol' Skulpture has been ported over by someone on GitHub to both Qt 5 and 6.)
                  I sincerely hope someone ports kvantum to plasma/qt 6. All the best themes make heavy use of it

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

I sincerely hope someone ports kvantum to plasma/qt 6. All the best themes make heavy use of it
                    Kvantum has been ported to Qt 6 by its developer quite a while ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X