X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jet fuel doesnt melt passports

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I thought a software patent is valid for 20 years?

Disclaimer: I'm against any software patents ever.
      It is, but that's multiple lifetimes for computers and software. Most products, operating systems, whatever will have multiple iterations in a 20 year period.

20 years ago was the PS2, Xbox, and Gameboy Advance era. Red Hat became Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Fedora was born. Arch had only existed for a year. BTW, I didn't use Arch back then. Debian and Slackware turned 10. Ubuntu won't exist for another year. macOS was still called OSX and the iMac was discontinued. Windows XP was a few months into SP1 and became the rose-colored glasses edition that everyone remembers so fondly.

Now we're on the PS5, Switch, and Xbox OneAPI and they're working on the next versions of them all. 8 years ago Microsoft released their last ever version of Windows and called it Windows 10. I'm dual booting Windows 11. Apple started and stopped using x86 during that time.

Damn, all that nostalgia just made me feel old. 20 years ago I was 17/18.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
        Apple wants to implement it because their corporate friends, particularly Adobe, want it to work with their software offerings. They will not use it for their phones any time soon, as they already have HEIF.
        Here's the text of the tweet from Jen Simmons, member of the Web Developer Experience team for Safari and Webkit:
        Yes, Safari 17 supports JPEG XL. On macOS Sonoma, macOS Ventura and macOS Monterey, as well as iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and soon, visionOS. We also added HEIC — especially for web apps that want to let users edit photos directly from the camera.
        So, looks like jpeg-xl is going to be on the phones, at least in terms of the phone browser.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Also gets me to realize:
          A lot of webcams use MJPEG - I figure that format isn't particularly optimized for 4K+ cameras, so what do they use? Or, is the lack of optimization why there are so few of such cameras?
          The format is essentially just a sequence of JPEG images put into a simple container. There is no inter frame prediction and limited block sizes, so it is not very efficient. MPEG1 outperforms it AFAIK - if you remove the artificial limits set by the MPEG1 standard.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            At least with APNG, it's an explicit violation of the PNG spec, which says that the PNG header indicates a file which contains one image and, optionally, alternatively-scaled copies of it.​ (That's why Mozilla has to maintain their own fork of libpng. Because libpng is the reference implementation and you can't upstream changes to the reference implementation which explicitly violate the spec it's a reference implementation for.)
            Well, but you can implement APNG on top of unmodified libpng. I think WebKit does it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Define "support".

Currently Firefox (nightly) kinda supports JPEG-XL except:
              • No color profiles support
              • No progressive decoding support
              • No alpha-channel support (that's very important)
              • No animation support (though I doubt anyone wants it - you've got video codecs for that)
              • No HDR support (that's a deal breaker at least for me)
              And it doesn't look like Firefox developers are too keen to add these features considering near complete silence in the respectful bug reports.

Apple's support is not complete either but they have a ton of cash to burn, so it's just a matter of their will. Firefox with its slowly dissipating market share doesn't have too much leeway.
              But but but trolls on this forum said Firefox has full JPEG-XL implementation in place but they just don't want to enable it because reasons!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

But but but trolls on this forum said Firefox has full JPEG-XL implementation in place but they just don't want to enable it because reasons!!!1
                Read the quote, Many firefox forks implement these patches
                saschanaz added a comment.Aug 11 2021, 9:29 AM
                Comment Actions

Hi @wwwwwwww, sorry for the long delay.

I think we'll prioritize AVIF for now, so right now we are not actively investing in this, given that we have limited resource. It's okay to keep the patches posted, but I don't think merging will happen in the foreseeable future.

I'm very sorry for that, especially with your other recent works. But still, thank you for your contribution.

firefox forks with support off the top of my head if you wanted to try one
                waterfox - https://github.com/WaterfoxCo/Waterfox/pull/2938
                floorp - https://github.com/Floorp-Projects/Floorp/pull/268
                librewolf(doesn't currently enable them but patches are there) - https://gitlab.com/librewolf-communi...ge_requests/53
                Last edited by Quackdoc; 09 June 2023, 09:53 AM. Reason: update librewolf

Comment

FWIW, Microsoft Edge hasn't implemented AVIF due to "legal issues", so it hasn't been signed off on yet. Google, obviously already implemented it in Chrome.

Comment

Webkit just merged JXL by default for apple's platforms

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It is, but that's multiple lifetimes for computers and software. Most products, operating systems, whatever will have multiple iterations in a 20 year period.

20 years ago was the PS2, Xbox, and Gameboy Advance era. Red Hat became Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Fedora was born. Arch had only existed for a year. BTW, I didn't use Arch back then. Debian and Slackware turned 10. Ubuntu won't exist for another year. macOS was still called OSX and the iMac was discontinued. Windows XP was a few months into SP1 and became the rose-colored glasses edition that everyone remembers so fondly.

Now we're on the PS5, Switch, and Xbox OneAPI and they're working on the next versions of them all. 8 years ago Microsoft released their last ever version of Windows and called it Windows 10. I'm dual booting Windows 11. Apple started and stopped using x86 during that time.
                      Sure.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      Damn, all that nostalgia just made me feel old. 20 years ago I was 17/18.
                      To me it's realizing Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates are gone, Steve Jobs is gone gone, a long time ago... while I'm regularly figuring out my hemorrhoids and don't feel any excitement about new versions of Windows or Mac, though on the bright side this year I'll grow the best c@nnabis ever (the fact that it's not legal adds some thrill).
                      Last edited by cl333r; 10 June 2023, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X