Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg's Next Release Will Be Exciting With Vulkan Video Decode, More Vulkan Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
    This Vulkan Video decode will work on distros that recently dropped the VA-API support from mesa?
    It is likely that the distros for which their legal staff have advised them to respect the IP laws in the jurisdictions that they operate in will continue to disable those codecs that are IP encumbered in their core distribution. Those that live in locations for which the relevant IP is not protected may have other choices available to them.

Comment

for anybody wondering, this DOES seem to make zerocopy mpv work on my polaris (hwdec: vulkan) vs (hwdec: vulkan-copy) the latter which seems to segfault. and there is preformance gains here too, as I can now depending on the resolution use fsrcnnx16, which wasnt availible before

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
        This Vulkan Video decode will work on distros that recently dropped the VA-API support from mesa?
        I wouldn't be surprised if this answer is n, infact it probably should be no, only av1 and vp9, vp9 doesn't exist yet though so only av1 would be availible

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          for anybody wondering, this DOES seem to make zerocopy mpv work on my polaris (hwdec: vulkan) vs (hwdec: vulkan-copy) the latter which seems to segfault. and there is preformance gains here too, as I can now depending on the resolution use fsrcnnx16, which wasnt availible before
          This works on Polaris? That's interesting, VAAPI/Vulkan interop doesn't work due to lack of support support for the modifiers extension: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/5882
          Last edited by Gusar; 01 June 2023, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post

This works on Polaris? That's interesting, VAAPI/Vulkan interop doesn't work due to lack of support support for the modifiers extension: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/5882
            yup, I had been waiting for vulkan for this very reason. glad I was proven right.

Comment

Good to see the years-long track record of not supporting the Pi continues. sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                It is likely that the distros for which their legal staff have advised them to respect the IP laws in the jurisdictions that they operate in will continue to disable those codecs that are IP encumbered in their core distribution.
                I'm not aware of any jurisdiction where the "IP laws" for this either weren't already ruled on years ago or have never been tried. The HW manufacturers pay for the licenses, the end. Past that point, no group of rent-seekers has any say in it, regardless of how much looking at the collapse of their whole business model makes them salty.

IBM's motivation for gutting the code from Mesa is something only IBM understands. It might be virtue-signalling / pettiness, or trying to speed AV1 adoption, or god knows what, but it isn't legally-motivated unless the code was an h265 SW implementation - which would be a waste of code anyway since basically every piece of HW shipped in the last 8+ years has HW decode.
                Last edited by arQon; 01 June 2023, 03:11 AM.

Comment

can a compatibility layer lib be created to receive software calls for VA-API and translate them into Vulkan Video?

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                    can a compatibility layer lib be created to receive software calls for VA-API and translate them into Vulkan Video?
                    it's possible im sure, but im not sure it's worth it, the other way, vulkan video -> vaapi already exists however IIRC

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                    Good to see the years-long track record of not supporting the Pi continues. sigh...
                    i'm not even sure if stuff like vulkan video makes sense on an rpi, I'm sure it can be done, but on arm devices the video encode block isn't really part of the gpu since it's all kinda one package.​

Comment

if there is an encode block, why not expose it via a modern standardized API?

IMHO the big issue with the RPi is that the raspberry pi foundation insists on using a Broadcom chip (not that it would be easy to move away from it now) and these fine gents have notoriously poor mainline linux support for their chips (was worse, improving but still bad), so it ends up being the task of the linux community to crack things open after-the-fact with little help from them

Comment

Working...
                      X