Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
    Vulkan rendering still out of reach
    Why do people keep saying that when it already works on Plasma 5? Sure, you have to manually add a environment variable, but it works so it's not “out of reach>”

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      Can't wait to stop building Qt5 version of apps that are already built and packaged with Qt6. Because Breeze Qt6 is not available and I am not crazy enough to use hacks like qt6gtk2. But I have a fear they may stop building Qt5 Breeze then.
      Breeze can be built on Qt6 just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

If a new team of developers can form around X.org and keep the beast alive and well, sure, let's have it. But the current team is burnt out on it and they are very eager to drop this legacy code and I haven't seen a lot of enthusiasm from others to step in and pick up maintenance and development.

Without continued support, it's probably a good idea to deprecate X.org sooner than later, because bit rot will set in and that can't be good for security and user experience.
        Allan Cooper is doing a great job on Xorg X11 maintenance, plus wayland shares components with the Xorg X11 server. Xorg is much more than just the X11 server.

Comment

The pointer works worse for me and with less precision in Wayland than in Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

The feature is not going anywhere as you said and if you like it, just enable it. It wasn't really good as default, because depending on a pointing device it cab be triggered unwillingly. When I shared my laptop with KDE to someone who isn't familiar with it at all, few seconds later I heard 'wha- what happened? I didn't do anything, why it disappeared?'. Sure, it might be nice feature for you, but why is has to be default. Moreover, by default I'd also got rid of
            1. Middle click on desktop with something in clipboard creates a sticky note. Nice, but I created shit ton of sticky notes by mistake both with touchpad 3-finger tap and a mouse scroll wheel that was too loose.
            2. Scrolling on task bar cycles through windows.
            If you think about it, it goes well with KDE's adopted philosophy to make stuff simple by default, but powerful when needed. That's also really important now, given that KDE software is exposed to non-Linux normie kind of users, like people with Steam Decks. There were just too many reddit posts where people didn't know how and what they did when they messed up their desktops completely with a ton of random widgets.
            I get that. IMHO, touchpads and mice need different defaults and shortcuts. What makes sense on one doesn't necessarily make sense with the other. That's especially the case with touchpads if you have extra sensitive scroll sensors or your hands aren't the most precise.

I hate that sticky note one. Sometimes I fat-finger when scrolling so I'd get random note on random desktops.

I use the hell out of scrolling to switch windows on the task bar.

I had to force myself to quit fidgeting with the scroll wheel. It's a hard habit to break when you grew up with nearly function-less scroll wheel operating systems. It makes me wonder how many mouse users really have a fidgeting problem.

Comment

I understand why they want to default to double click, no one else uses it and the user coming from Windows might find it uncomfortable, however I will continue to use 1 click simply because it is more convenient and sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
                I understand why they want to default to double click, no one else uses it and the user coming from Windows might find it uncomfortable, however I will continue to use 1 click simply because it is more convenient and sensible.
                I have accidentally executed why too many scripts doing this

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I have accidentally executed why too many scripts doing this
                  It's just a matter of habit, if you always use a one click system nothing will happen accidentally, if you use multiple systems, some with single click and others with double click it's easy to click accidentally.
                  For this reason I find the decision to switch the default to double click makes sense, because most people are used to that, but I'm used to single click so I'm going to change the setting.​

Comment

Working...
                  X