Firefox 112 Now Available With Support For Importing Chromium Snap Browser Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

I'm surprised Brave doesn't get mentioned more here, since it's by the guy who made Firefox. He definitely took all his talent with him when he left, Brave is probably the most capable and optimized browser I know of. It's absolutely the spiritual successor of Firefox.
    Brave? The Chrome-fork that tries to sell you cryptocurrency BS by giving you their own coins if you agree to watch ads.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post

Brave? The Chrome-fork that tries to sell you cryptocurrency BS by giving you their own coins if you agree to watch ads.
      Yeah. That's opt-in, you can just totally ignore it.
      Otherwise, it's the fastest chromium-based browser I've used, comes with an adblocker, better UX, generally just better than chrome.
      Plus the crypto ad thing comes from good intentions, what they're trying to do is show Google that you can still serve targeted ads but at the local level, without harvesting user data. They're trying to set a good example to big data-hungry corporations. The crypto itself is also not some "investment opportunity" scam like every other crypto, you can't actually get money out of it. The only thing you can do with it is give it to content creators registered with BAT who actually can get money out of it, as a round-about way to sponsor them from Brave's (locally served) ads.

Comment

where is pwa support on desktop and profiles management? Firefox is falling way behind

Comment

Otherwise, it's the fastest chromium-based browser I've used
          Maybe the fastest you've tried, but the fastest Chromium browsers are still Chrome and Edge.

comes with an adblocker, better UX, generally just better than chrome.
          May I ask what's so special about Brave's ui? Last time I checked it, it didn't really look different to regular Chrome/Chromium and its settings page had a terrible usability issue: When your Brave window is not maximized, not all settings are shown.
          If you really want a truely more advanced and customizable browser ux, imo both Opera and Vivaldi are miles ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Maybe the fastest you've tried, but the fastest Chromium browsers are still Chrome and Edge.
            Haven't tried Edge (when I did try it, before they switched to Chromium, it was a buggy mess, so I'm very disinterested in ever taking it seriously again), but Chrome was the entire reason I switched to Brave. It was insanely slow and took about 2 or 3 minutes to even start up. Chrome in general is bogged down by Google telemetry stuff, plus Brave performs some of their own optimizations.

May I ask what's so special about Brave's ui? Last time I checked it, it didn't really look different to regular Chrome/Chromium and its settings page had a terrible usability issue: When your Brave window is not maximized, not all settings are shown.
            If you really want a truely more advanced and customizable browser ux, imo both Opera and Vivaldi are miles ahead.
            ​

Well, I meant better than Chrome or Edge's UX. It is mostly just a better-looking Chrome UX, but Opera and Vivaldi's are probably better.

Comment

but Chrome was the entire reason I switched to Brave. It was insanely slow and took about 2 or 3 minutes to even start up. Chrome in general is bogged down by Google telemetry stuff, plus Brave performs some of their own optimizations.
              That sounds unusual. Maybe your Chrome profile was too heavy? This definitely shouldn't happen with a clean profile. When I said Chrome and Edge are the fastest, I meant according to benchmarks I've seen from different sources. I remember Brave was slightly faster than all the other Chromium browsers in some of those benchmarks, but in others it's about the same.

Comment

Plus the crypto ad thing comes from good intentions, what they're trying to do is show Google that you can still serve targeted ads but at the local level, without harvesting user data. They're trying to set a good example to big data-hungry corporations. The crypto itself is also not some "investment opportunity" scam like every other crypto, you can't actually get money out of it. The only thing you can do with it is give it to content creators registered with BAT who actually can get money out of it, as a round-about way to sponsor them from Brave's (locally served) ads.
                I'm sorry, but this is foolishly naive. Full of half-truths that all seem nice as long as don't look at them in detail.

1 > Trying to show Google...
                Do you think Google doesn't have the minds, the research or the technical capabilities to know how to do this? It's not that they don't know how to implement this and need to be "shown", they don't WANT to implement this. They have a very special and deep interest exactly in this kind of data collection, because they use it for more than just for ads targeting. This whole "we're going to show the big bad tech giants how they can do this" is utterly ignorant, pointless, and is nothing more than good marketing.

2. > targeted ads at the local level, without harvesting user data.
                Ads are still harmful and annoying even if they respect your privacy. Just because data-collecting ads are even worse doesn't mean​ we should have to watch ads constantly to use the web AND our computers. That's right, Brave can show you ads even outside of the browser. That's just what we want, right? You'll also get more ads than with other browsers because it shows you its own ads in addition to all the traditional ones already embedded in webpages. And before you mention it doesn't because it comes with its own adblocker: You can install very good adblockers for any browser, so there's no gain here. By the way, all those ads that it blocks are taking revenue away from the websites that the user actually visits. So much for sponsoring content creators.

3. > It is opt-in.
                Yes it is, but they do go out of their way to try to hook you in on it. They advertise it on their landing page, it is the first notification you see when you install their browser, you also get notified of it a second time as soon as you've set up your basic preferences, and the feature also gets a permanent toolbar button even if you don't use it, just in case you've missed it the first three times, LOL.

4. > The crypto itself is also not some "investment opportunity" scam.
                They "forget" to advertise this aspect as intensely as the feature itself. Sure, if you read up on the thing you'll eventually find this information, but they don't tell you about this while trying to hook you in. They surgically leave out this information from key places, and thus abuse most people's naivety who think they'll get crypto that they can eventually trade in for money. Sure, people who think this would be worth it are foolish, but abusing their wrong judgement is enough to make a point that it is scam-like. All the elements of a scam are there: harmful to the user, in the self-interest of Brave and their clients, by withholding key information from the user until absolutely necessary.
                Last edited by ultimA; 10 April 2023, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PAUL007 View Post
                  how long will it take to implement hardware video decoding on nvidia dgpu.
                  A VA-API implemention using NVIDIA's NVDEC. Contribute to elFarto/nvidia-vaapi-driver development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

I'm surprised Brave doesn't get mentioned more here, since it's by the guy who made Firefox. He definitely took all his talent with him when he left, Brave is probably the most capable and optimized browser I know of. It's absolutely the spiritual successor of Firefox.
                    Brave doesn't get mentioned because they don't actually do anything on this front. They just use Chromium and leverage its renderer to render the UI as well as websites.

Comment

May I ask what's so special about Brave's ui?
                      A vertical tab implementation superior to Edge's and Vivaldi's.

Comment

Working...
                      X