Early KDE Plasma 6 Development State: "It's Still Rough, But It's Usable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Lot of ways weston being the reference compositor it should be the worst case. If Wayland compositor alternative to reference compositor is not equal/better than weston what the heck are they doing. Weston and libweston job is to be the min bar of quality that everything else in the Wayland space should be equal or better than.
    This sums it up. Thanks! Kwin based on QT is just at another level higher while supporting the standard Wayland API. Plasma 6, based on QT6, will be even better. Can't wait

Comment

Merry Easter to all ones.
      I'm curious to know about the main differences between Plasma 5 and Plasma 6.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
        Merry Easter to all ones.
        I'm curious to know about the main differences between Plasma 5 and Plasma 6.
        It will be the same just using Qt6 instead of Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

See what's new in Qt 6. All the features and technical specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

Well I'd better choose the lack of attention to details (Plasma, probably) instead of no details at all (Gnome).
            ​​​I prefer something in the middle, but GNOME has enough details I think, I can't think of a feature I can't live with that GNOME hasn't, maybe the shell has missing things here and there but it's fixable with extensions. Yeah, that without mentioning the obvious missing features in Wayland.
            Last edited by eagleoneraptor; 09 April 2023, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

So they're not going to fix any bugs or introduce any new features?

Comment

Hopefully Plasma 6 actually reaches feature and stability parity with 5.27 before it's released, we don't really need another SC 4.0. Apart from this, Plasma is still the nicest DE on Linux for me as it provides the user with options and for the most part is intuitive, unlike GNOME which feels like it was developed for kids. This doesn't mean that it can't improve as in certain cases the options are overwhelming and menus seem cluttered, in addition, the pace of development seems to high at times and it seems like they sometimes move backwards by fixing one bug and introducing two more.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So they're not going to fix any bugs or introduce any new features?
                  They do that every week. Read https://pointieststick.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                    Wayland is the modern Desktop Environment we need in terms of security while X11 is the Desktop Environment that works with security flaws and in a constant maintenance mode.
                    Excellent point, I am sick of my Linux workstation running X11 getting pwnd by hackers every week. Oh, wait...

_________________ X11_____Wayland
                    Secure _________yes _____yes
                    My apps work _yes ______no
                    Stable _________yes _______no
                    Performance __same ____same
                    Design quality _bad _____worse

Given that we are 14 years into Wayland, I see no evidence that it will ever reach parity with X11. All of the pro-future fanboyism in the world cannot change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnacle View Post

Excellent point, I am sick of my Linux workstation running X11 getting pwnd by hackers every week. Oh, wait...

_________________ X11_____Wayland
                      Secure _________yes _____yes
                      My apps work _yes ______no
                      Stable _________yes _______no
                      Performance __same ____same
                      Design quality _bad _____worse

Given that we are 14 years into Wayland, I see no evidence that it will ever reach parity with X11. All of the pro-future fanboyism in the world cannot change that.
                      Wayland is not aiming to reach parity with X11. Just the opposite, it is simplifying/dropping many unneeded features of X11 which is not maintained anymore (last release was 2012).
                      Wayland is not software to talk about stability. It is just a protocol. And, KDE's Wayland implementation is as stable as it gets and all apps work, everything. GNOME too, everything works. If something is not working for you, you can make it work, you will need to learn the Wayland way. I did, I remember the days of Linux 1.0 and FVWM. Many things changed since then. X11 has no future, it is already dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X