System76 Making COSMIC Improvements To Their Launcher, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrokenAnsible View Post

I for one am super grateful for the work S76 has done past and present. Keep up being good FOSS citizens and keep up the great work going forward on Cosmic, XOrg, Waylaynd and the rust ecosystem.
    Me too. I'm writing this response using CosmicDE right now! System76 are doing some great work, especially their decision to use and improve Iced.

(Just to clarify, I'm not associated with System76! The person I responded to thinks otherwise, because I called them on their BS once.

Comment

Originally posted by hojjat View Post

Me too. I'm writing this response using CosmicDE right now! System76 are doing some great work, especially their decision to use and improve Iced.

(Just to clarify, I'm not associated with System76! The person I responded to thinks otherwise, because I called them on their BS once.
      hey, another cosmicDE user it's kinda shocking how well the basic stuff is working. it's great and easy to install on arch too, though the aur pkgbuilds I had issues with so I had to do my own up

Comment

Used it for some days not as a daily driver but to try out for a day at a time with F40 in the current alpha git stage to see how I do on daily tasks, interesting concepts, not bad at all. Still unfinished, as to be expected for an alpha, but astonishingly functional. Seems especially have to have issues with hotkeys sometimes (the super+g basically never works for me, may be connected to having chosen a german keyboard layout now - worked with the english one, in the launcher the hotkeys don't always (CTRK+X), there is no key-up key-down just to choose a an option but just the hotkey - which is annoying to me especially if shortcuts fail. I got the window manager to freeze one time by now pushing a fullscreen window a bit fast from one screen to the other and back (proton/dxvk one), forgetting my audio output device choice and similar. But overall I think it could be a great experience once the little issues are figured out. I'll consider to use it more once it becomes more stable/finished/polished.

Overall it looks good and is promising for me. I tried it since I like the mix between floating and tiling, and they strike a pretty great balance between that.

I'll try it as daily driver in the beta and start reporting bugs then. I think as volatile and fast-paced as it still is it hardly makes sense, probably they're aware of most of the issues I encounter already, and beta is probably the flagpole when they're really not aware of that .

Still needs a lot of work to be close to as mature as KDE or Gnome, but it's alpha, and for that, it's impressive.
        Last edited by STiAT; 01 May 2024, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X