Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.5 Released With VKD3D 1.7 Included, WinRT App Dark Theme

Phoronix: Wine 8.5 Released With VKD3D 1.7 Included, WinRT App Dark Theme

Wine 8.5 is out to end out the month as the newest bi-weekly development release for enjoying the ability to run Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am impressed that more and more newer games are working great with Wine.git and VK3D-Proton.
    The Last of Us, released 3 days ago, runs stable and fast under Wine.git + VKd3d-Proton with AMD hardware.
    Under Windows the game seems to have some problems with image stability and crashes

https://www.polygon.com/23661784/the...s-broken-steam
    Last edited by SerialCool; 31 March 2023, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Nice. Thanks to Valve, that currently so much games running with Proton and WINE.
      And as Andrew Tsai mentioned, there are also more games, which running with Proton on Apple Silicon M1 Macs.
      Asahi Linux GPU acceleration Mac tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZmQeyBXx8sAsahi Lina's channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AsahiLinaDonate to Asah...

Comment

Now, when I want to run a Windows game, it just works. Things have changed a lot since the time when we were limited to a selection of well-known games with an OpenGL renderer. Wine is a success (corporate backing, Valve in this case, helps a lot).

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          Now, when I want to run a Windows game, it just works. Things have changed a lot since the time when we were limited to a selection of well-known games with an OpenGL renderer. Wine is a success (corporate backing, Valve in this case, helps a lot).
          I don't know about everyone else here but celebrating how great Win32 API works under Linux is kinda depressing to me.

It just sounds like a complete failure of Linux to become a viable software platform for developing proprietary applications which can work for decades without recompilation and struggling with dependencies. Something which Windows provides in spades.

And, nah, flatpak/snap are not the right solution. They are a lame attempt to hide the issue. It's like admitting the entire Linux user space is a big load of poo and you can only rely on the Linux kernel user interface (API).

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I don't know about everyone else here but celebrating how great Win32 API works under Linux is kinda depressing to me.

It just sounds like a complete failure of Linux to become a viable software platform for developing proprietary applications which can work for decades without recompilation and struggling with dependencies. Something which Windows provides in spades.
            Tbh, nothing in the desktop OS space as a whole really comes close to win32's backwards compatibility. I mean look at MacOS. Its backwards compatibility isn't any better than Linux's. In some ways its even worse. I've read comments that if you want to run a version of Photoshop from just a few years ago on modern MacOS versions, it will not work (and this isn't because of phasing out 32 bit support in Catalina).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Tbh, nothing in the desktop OS space as a whole really comes close to win32's backwards compatibility. I mean look at MacOS. Its backwards compatibility isn't any better than Linux's. In some ways its even worse. I've read comments that if you want to run a version of Photoshop from just a few years ago on modern MacOS versions, it will not work (and this isn't because of phasing out 32 bit support in Catalina).
              You're correct about MacOS but Apple has ten times as many users and those are quite well-off people who will shell out the money for Adobe/Microsoft/Autodesk products. Linux users on the other hand? Most are either professional software developers who only need an IDE or simply vi/emacs or students, and the former don't need and the latter cannot afford any of these products. Overall there's simply no professional market for Linux and Linux distros don't strive to become suitable to incite ISVs to port their products to Linux.

Comment

avis how can you expect professional market when distros don't even manage their system folders in the same way

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                  Forget about it, it is not Linux' fault, it's the fault of software and game developers. While the all known Unreal Engine 4 can be built natively on Linux, do you know how many games have been released on Linux natively? Zero. And even if there is enough demand for Linux support, many refuse to support it. Think of it as corporate solidarity with Microsoft.
                  Last edited by Monsterovich; 01 April 2023, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Due to the newly emerging world order and the trade wars, it is the best time for Linux to be used and spread more and more, especially by countries like China and Russia, which are in conflict with the USA.
                    China wants to ban Microsoft with Windows from China as early as 2025 and also rely on its own hardware, which will then run Linux. Russia also wants to rely more on Linux in order to no longer be so digitally dependent on the USA.

And not to forget, the world's largest company in the games industry is Tencent, which is based in China.

(I exclude ruling organization and human rights).

China is doubling down on Linux in a bid to leave Windows behind

Comment

Working...
                    X