KDE's Konsole Now Works On Windows, More Plasma Wayland Fixes Come Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    does sddm still hangs when one tries to use the fingerprint to login?
    Did it? Worked fine last time I tried it, on Ubuntu 22.04.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      If people would unite one day behind 1-3 desktop environments to solve this big fragmentation problem that hurts Linux's adoption and to make them better, I think KDE Plasma can definitely be one of them.
      It has the features and the flexibility to make 80-90% of the people happy.
      And with some more donations and developers, the rest of the problems can be fixed too.
      If car and refrigrator manufacturers would unite one day behind 1-3 models to solve this big fragmentation problem that hurs car and fridge adoption and to make them better, I think model xyz can definitely be one of them. It has the features to make 80-90% of the people happy.

Comment

You know, this KDE vs GNOME has certain similarities to android vs IOS. So while there are different set of pros/cons on each side, it's probably more about which specific set of (personal preferences) that one crosses a red line over that the other one does not. Both can improve in different ways

However the choice between isn't quite as black and white as it is over in the mobile phone world. Because on phones you also have other types of additional considerations / concerns to worry about other than just the UI. Around significant matters like apps support, and device security, etc. None of which is very much matters over on linux platform. Where both KDE and gnome can run both QT and GTK apps, and both have very similar security, similar level of flatpak support etc.

So it's more of a 'which are personal red lines' sort of a thing. Which you know... it can be harder to be more broadly objective about.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Installing KDE over GNOME can lead to duplication of services, people missing "optional but should be required" dependencies, and other stupid issues
        Recently i installed KDE on my ubuntu and it wasn't that bad actually - most things did not conflict very much. Maybe there was some minor startup programs, things like the password keychain. But by and large, both desktops seem to be far more well behaved these days to co-exist allongside one another. So not much reason you cannot install and try both IMHO

Perhaps SDDM / GDM login screen can be a bit more breakable. But it's usually more of a case of just reinstalling the other one (or the ubuntu one lightdm is a 3rd option).

Comment

Handsome ! I like this desktop Plasma, I'm using it on my notebook with Tumbleweed, great, stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            If people would unite one day behind 1-3 desktop environments to solve this big fragmentation problem that hurts Linux's adoption and to make them better, I think KDE Plasma can definitely be one of them.
            It has the features and the flexibility to make 80-90% of the people happy.
            And with some more donations and developers, the rest of the problems can be fixed too.
            It was already tried at the time in the UNIX world with CDE and Motif, obviously they failed miserably because vendors realized that the lack of differentiation was going to hurt them, in addition to the proprietary issue that prevented FLOSS systems from adopting it.

That is impossible anyway because Linux is not the only OS that uses/can use these DEs, and nobody prevents any company or community from creating a derivative of some BSD or another *NIX with its own DE that is later ported to Linux and that is repeated again. That's not counting linuxisms, another reason for them to create their own DEs. If macOS had the same GUI as Windows, would you use it? spoiler: no, to use a demo of Windows already having the original and complete OS you will use Windows, because there you already have the entire ecosystem of x86 software and hardware.
            Last edited by Nozo; 11 March 2023, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post
              You know, this KDE vs GNOME has certain similarities to android vs IOS
              In this world, the equivalent of Android vs iOS would actually be Linux vs BSD.
              GNOME vs KDE would be like the war of customization layers in Android, like Stock AOSP GUI vs the buggy MIUI​

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                does sddm still hangs when one tries to use the fingerprint to login?
                Works fine on arch, and has since I enabled it ~November of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_wix View Post

You must be confusing it with something else. Konsole has never worked on windows. There was a past attempt at porting Konsole to windows but that attempt never made it stable releases ever. So the title is correct as is.
                  ​​
                  And yet it did.

http://web.archive.org/web/201509070...ndowsavailable
                  May 9th, 2010 : KDE Software Compilation 4.4.1 for Windows available
                  The KDE on Windows team today has released an update to the 4.4 series of our Software Compilation. Among other improvements, this update includes a fix for KMail hanging when sending emails that just missed the deadline for 4.4.0 and a number of fixes in many gearheads' favorite terminal emulator, Konsole. As usual, this maintenance release also brings updated translations, but no new features. KDE recommends this update to everyone running 4.4.0 or earlier. The binary packages could be installed with the installer by using the version "stable 4.4.1" (or "stable latest"). In case you are upgrading your KDE installation, deselect the skip basic settings checkbox on the first installer page and press next until you are guided to the release settings page, where you can choose the required version.
                  (KDE on Windows Team)

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzie View Post

And yet it did.
                    ​​​​​
                    Make of that whatever you will but that never got mainlined i.e., Konsole never officially supported windows till now. They may have released based on the winport branch, who knows, too long ago. The winport branch in which the earlier port work started still lives in the Konsole repo though.
                    ​​​​​

/ guy who did the port

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's the joke. While a lot of distributions ship GNOME by default KDE usually ranks higher with package install counts and random surveys. It's because they use GNOME, realize it sucks, and install KDE manually.

That's also why there are a lot of KDE bugs that are non-bugs. Installing KDE over GNOME can lead to duplication of services, people missing "optional but should be required" dependencies, and other stupid issues that can usually be fixed by a package audit from a knowledgeable, experienced user.
                      Really? What distribution? I'm genuinely interested.

In Debian, FYI, KDE is not even second

Comment

Working...
                      X