PipeWire 0.3.67 Fixes Stuttering For Some Bluetooth Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Annoying additional BT delay that kicks in all of a sudden once again drove me to Windows. Another case of pure chance if something works in Linux world.
    So let me get this straight: The reason to change the entire operating system of your computer is just a bluetooth glitch for a sound device?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I wish it would pick up the battery level of Bluetooth connected speakers and report it to the OS, like PulseAudio with some experimental flag can do.
      BlueZ utility serves that role by enabling dbus experimental interface on
      Code:
      /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
      . It will display the battery level on Power page in GNOME Settings as an example and should also apply on any desktop environment supporting such function. Test successful with a pair of Sony SRS-XB13 and Samsung Galaxy Bud 2.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by finalzone; 10 March 2023, 04:50 AM. Reason: Add screenshot

Comment

I experience occasional stuttering with Sennheiser TW3 earbuds but it's rare, I'm mostly satisfied with Linux Bluetooth support. Looking forward to see if this fixes the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

So let me get this straight: The reason to change the entire operating system of your computer is just a bluetooth glitch for a sound device?
          any reason why it wouldn't be? if they use BT a lot, it would be a major factor.

Comment

Originally posted by LubosD View Post

Lucky you. I tried using it with my Bluetooth headset and it was a nightmare. Microphone would stop working suddenly after a few minutes.

I wanted to help them troubleshoot, but then things got even worse with the following release, so I gave up and returned to PulseAudio, because I really need something that works every day.
            On which distribution does that issue occur? I tested the recently 0.3.67 update of pipewire on Fedora 38 Prerelease (Beta coming next week) with bluetooth connected to both Samsung Galaxy Bud 2 and a pair of Sony SRS-XB13. All sounds run smoothly and switch between both devices while playing music is seamless. Even build-in microphones on both devices worked when using hands-free mode.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              On which distribution does that issue occur? I tested the recently 0.3.67 update of pipewire on Fedora 38 Prerelease (Beta coming next week) with bluetooth connected to both Samsung Galaxy Bud 2 and a pair of Sony SRS-XB13. All sounds run smoothly and switch between both devices while playing music is seamless. Even build-in microphones on both devices worked when using hands-free mode.
              Arch. Sometimes it wouldn't happen for 30 minutes of using mSBC and then it would break 3 times over the next five. The fastest fix was switching to A2DP and then back to HFP (mSBC).
              PipeWire version (pipewire --version): 0.3.59 Distribution and distribution version (PRETTY_NAME from /etc/os-release): Arch Linux Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma Kernel version...

Comment

PipeWire is something Linux really really needed. PulseAudio did attempt to fix the mess different process fighting over alsa devices and bringing modern bluetooth audio support into Linux, but had its share of issues and design-flaws. PipeWire basically does everything better in every regard and create a default way of processing video along the way.

One of my top FOSS projects in the last few years. Thank you to all the devs!

Comment

Pipewire finally justified my sound system connected to the PC. Sound is far superior to Windows 11 with its limiter induced dull sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

any reason why it wouldn't be? if they use BT a lot, it would be a major factor.
                    Compared to the benefits of using Linux in the first place, it is a non-issue. People don't just stumble upon Linux, they intentionally use it. There are reasons to use it. Going back to Windows just for bluetooth issues means they weren't really serious about using Linux or appreciated its benefits anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Compared to the benefits of using Linux in the first place, it is a non-issue. People don't just stumble upon Linux, they intentionally use it. There are reasons to use it. Going back to Windows just for bluetooth issues means they weren't really serious about using Linux or appreciated its benefits anyway.
                      this is just absurd. audio is half of most media consumption, often more. if you find yourself relying on bluetooth audio, and its not working, that means half of most media, usually more, is not working.

not only would this be incredibly annoying. If it's a feature you really wanted, if it's a feature you actually rely on it would be absolutely deal breaking.

what matters to me, probably matters not to you, nor him and vice versa. sometimes the cons of linux vastly outweigh the gains, and if audio is whats broken for you, I suspect that the majority of people would swap to windows.

it's easy enough to say just don't use Bluetooth. but sometimes you need wireless audio, I know I do. and audio over lan is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                      X