No announcement yet.

Wine 8.3 Released With Low Fragmentation Heap, Smart Card Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok great to hear that it wasnt just my own imagination.... because at an individual level i am randomly trying to run 1 specific app or game, as the situation arises. then months later it will be a completely different one, on a completely different wine version and so on. so therefore my own experience or impression might be skewed or unlucky. but it seems generally we are indeed heading in a positive direction here.

but collectively, as a whole we can at least predict the following developements on the user side:

* as stream deck and its clones keeps getting sold, more regular users will be trying to play a lot more games on linux / wine / proton. of course this has already begun... but clearly the point is that this is set to continue

* so over time, we can expect more volume of user reports, and more recent to new wine releases. by users who know 0 about wine or linux

so maybe this is just enough? to at least 'detect' more of the recent regressions on specific apps right? i mean with basically just a wine version. but is there actually a 'smart enough' automated / automat-able way for steam to submit worthwhile crash reports for failures based on such wine version?

for example if user x tries a specific app on wine version x, and it fails. then store the crash report until the same user changes only the wine version (to something else) --> then if it does not crash ---> submit the report including which versions would run, and which did not.

perhaps this is technically challenging, for games that take a longer time to load successfully, (or crash). or because it is harder to determine whether the failure reason is due to wine error or something else

but anyhow my reason for bringing up is because maybe a (semi-) automated system can give a similar quality of information, than a manually user entered bug report, right? even if steam has to pop up a simple question in a dialogue box, its still going to make the process easier, right? (and it can be a complementary system, in addition to existing ones).

sorry maybe steam already has implemented something like this. but is it good enough to be effective to catch these regressions? assuming that there are enough users, more users out there

Comment

Working...
    X