KDE Plasma 5.27 Beta Released With Tiling & Multi-Monitor Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

Kwrite and Kate uses same architecture, libraries and shares most of the code.
    They both launch instantly(under Plasma), unliike Featherpad. I haven't measured memory, I'm using vim mostly under Konsole. It's nice, except stupid shortcuts(like generally plasma) that interfere with many TUI apps.
    I didn't say they don't launch instantly. And FeatherPad launches instantly too under Plasma. But Kate feels slow when working with it (also see kylew77's comment above this one) and has too many features, making it bloated.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Can't reproduce that on my 24" 2K monitor on DP.
      It happens to me regularly on 5.26.5. Should note that due to the size of my display I have two windows visible, one on the left half, the other right half (winkey+left/right arrow). Display off (I leave system idling as suspend/resume is unreliable) for a while and when turned back on the one on right has disappeared off the right side of the display. I will try the 5.27 beta this weekend.

Edit: it seems to be specifically Firefox and Thunderbird doing this so could be a bug in whatever framework they use.
      Last edited by ResponseWriter; 22 January 2023, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

It happens to me regularly on 5.26.5.
        Just to add, because I seem to have forgotten: I'm also on 5.26.5.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
          [...somehow after the display has been off for a while a window will end up shifted off the screen so it doesn't show when maximised. It can (usually) be moved back using the Alt+F3 menu...]
          It happens to me regularly on 5.26.5. Should note that due to the size of my display I have two windows visible, one on the left half, the other right half (winkey+left/right arrow). Display off (I leave system idling as suspend/resume is unreliable) for a while and when turned back on the one on right has disappeared off the right side of the display. I will try the 5.27 beta this weekend.

Edit: it seems to be specifically Firefox and Thunderbird doing this so could be a bug in whatever framework they use.
          This sounds much like my configuration. Fedora 37 KDE spin now up to Plasma 5.26.5, running on a Thinkpad T460 laptop with Intel Core i5 and Mesa HD Graphics 520. I have an external 1920x1200 monitor plugged into DisplayPort configured as my main display above my laptop, on which I put Firefox on left and Thunderbird on right. I set export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 (in a ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/moz_enable_wayland.sh file) so they're both running under Wayland. Suspend works reliably for me, but also Power Wanagement > Energy Saving turns my displays off and I occasionally run a shell script that sends 'Turn Off Screen' to powerdevil over DBus.

... and I don't think I've had a window shift like that up off the screen, not in the last few years. I did suffer from Plasma losing its desktop settings upon reboot (bug 427861 and its dupe 421498, blessedly fixed in December). Plasma/KWin will reposition windows if a screen is disconnected; maybe yours is a timing thing where they reposition windows before they have enabled and positioned screens. KDE community wiki has a suggestion for debug logging in Solid/Projects/ScreenManagement, it might help. Good luck! and file a bug.

Comment

Working...
          X