Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I wish...
    As in you don't have time or simply can't sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      I'm sad by the lack of mentions of Manifest V3 by 2023. Why get excited for a feature on a web browser nobody will be using soon?

Why do people confuse "affect" with "effect" so often?

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
        Chromium on wayland is still a shitshow. At least on KDE it can't go over 60fps plus vaapi and Vulkan don't work.
        That's not waylands fault. Try another environment, and wow it's 165hz for me .

It's why i switched to Sway, with floating windows. kwin is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What's wrong with using "effect" as a verb in this context? It's listed in most online dictionaries.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

What's wrong with using "effect" as a verb in this context? It's listed in most online dictionaries.
            Affect-EFFECT--760x400.jpg

Comment

"as a verb" was the key in my reply. Your picture refers to "effect" as a noun.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                That's only when video-sync is not set to audio.
                Actually mpv does it (resamples the audio) when video-sync is set to audio and the pitch shift required to align with the true frame rate is negligible, ie if your display is at 60.1hz and it's a 60*1000/1001 source. Check the docs. I was really surprised to find this out. And yes, this is an inaudible pitch shift.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Few kernels are compiled with a 100Hz timer. The majority run at 250Hz or 300Hz, with some low-latency kernels running at 1000Hz (e.g. Ubuntu/Debian lowlatency).
                Code:
                sid@shiney:~$ grep -r ^CONFIG_HZ /boot/config-5.15.0-52*
                /boot/config-5.15.0-52-generic:CONFIG_HZ_250=y
                /boot/config-5.15.0-52-generic:CONFIG_HZ=250
                /boot/config-5.15.0-52-lowlatency:CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
                /boot/config-5.15.0-52-lowlatency:CONFIG_HZ=1000

Thanks! I always appreciate being updated!

I've been using Linux since 1994, compiled my own kernel with modules disabled for faster boot... One of the things I always did was set CONFIG_HZ to 1000, starting in October 1996 when I got my Cyrix M1 PR120+ and started hacking on X-MAME. One of the things I did was add sleeping in the frameskip code so that I could run 4 different arcade games at once on the X desktop. With the busy-waiting it stuttered badly until I increased CONFIG_HZ to 1000, but back then almost all software expected CONFIG_HZ to be 100, so anything that did timings based on jiffies ran 10x too fast, or waited 1/10th as long as it should. One of my desktop clocks ran fast, DOSEMU ran fast, and my SmartMedia card reader had a lot of timeout warnings on the kernel log lol. We've come a long way since those days.

Anyhow I've had this discussion a lot of times over the years and I've slowly accepted that CONFIG_HZ was never going to be anything other than 100 on x86 for performance reasons, but it was higher on some other arch's, ie it was 1000 on MIPS. I'm glad to see the default is 250 on X64 now. Anyone know when Ubuntu made this change?
                Last edited by linuxgeex; 26 October 2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  ARGHH! HEVC support: no!!!! I thought that non-free codecs were going to die on the Internet. Now we're going to be stuck with another 10 years of MPEG payments...

The timing kind-of matches with the EU anti-trust investigations. I guess this means that AV1 is now dead - there isn't enough benefit to warrant using AV1 over HEVC anymore...
                  there is plenty of reason though, its still not royalty free, and AV1 destroys hevc on filesize, only looses in detail retention at higher bitrates and thats likely due to the encoders we have not having it as a higher priority. AV1 is already a very valid usecase for MANY folks

Comment

I don't know, I wasn't the one who made it. These Manifest V3 meme's are all over /r/linuxmemes/.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Also, Canonical dropped the "lowlatency" kernel flavor starting with Linux 5.17...
                      False (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lowlatency).

Comment

Working...
                      X