KDE Plasma 5.26 Sees More Features & Fixes Ahead Of Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    I do have a bug with Chromium and Firefox (and other apps, but usually affects browsers), that happens after a reasonable amount of uptime and activity. The affected app stops painting, window resize will update a frame, and while you can interact with mouse and type, the window itself just doesn't update to indicate any of that until an event like resizing fixes it. This is on X11, but I suspect the nvidia drivers may play a role in it, I haven't done testing without using nvidia or a different DE to know for sure.
    I see the same issue with Firefox on my laptop with Intel graphics. I suspect, playing videos at least encourages that bug. For me the fix will be to just switch to Wayland. Since I don't need Zoom window sharing anymore, there's nothing stopping me and I've been running KDE on Wayland for a year now on my desktop with everything working just fine. Supposedly Wayland even gives better battery runtime, so looking forward to that.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I wonder why you couldn't use Windows where everything just works. Every day there's a new pain story on Phoronix.
      Tom's Hardware reported a bug a bit about AES encrypted partitions in Windows 11 being corrupted because of poor bit locker implementation. I've used FDE on Linux and FreeBSD and NEVER had data loss due to FDE. The only time I had data loss was when I tried to convert an ext4 partition to BTRFS and I've sworn off that file system due to bugs on every system I've ever used it on. FFS/UFS, EXT2/3/4, XFS, JFS, ZFS -- all are rock solid stable file systems that don't delete my data when I choose to use full disk encryption.

Comment

Originally posted by ktecho View Post

I don't want to change the OS because I use it on my servers and containers too. But I may try the Ubuntu based XFCE flavor...
        Xubuntu LTS is a great OS, have used it in some way or fashion since 14.04. It is a solid OS. I even use 20.04 for my mom and dad who have no technical skills whatsoever. I walked my mom how to run "sudo -s" "apt update" and "apt upgrade" last night to pull in the latest HWE support.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Tom's Hardware reported a bug a bit about AES encrypted partitions in Windows 11 being corrupted because of poor bit locker implementation. I've used FDE on Linux and FreeBSD and NEVER had data loss due to FDE. The only time I had data loss was when I tried to convert an ext4 partition to BTRFS and I've sworn off that file system due to bugs on every system I've ever used it on. FFS/UFS, EXT2/3/4, XFS, JFS, ZFS -- all are rock solid stable file systems that don't delete my data when I choose to use full disk encryption.
          I don't know a single affected person. do you? Not seen anything on Microsoft Forums or superuser.com either.

People love to report obscure Windows issues which they've only heard about in the news.

Comment

Well I have done a thing! Enabled the KDE Backports Extra PPA from Kubuntu on my Pop_OS install...

Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports-extra
            Applying the update now and then reboot... lets see what blows up!

Comment

I wonder why you couldn't use Windows where everything just works. Every day there's a new pain story on Phoronix.
              Oh, wishful thinking. On windows things just break and when they work, they work in sub optimal way. And not everyone wants to share his data with M$ spying crap.

Comment

I don't know a single affected person. do you? Not seen anything on Microsoft Forums or superuser.com either.

People love to report obscure Windows issues which they've only heard about in the news.
                Like winblows breaks after 'update'? Most people just don't give a shit about windows bugs, because they never get fixed.

Comment

Working...
                X