Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    I bet a Mac designed this forum software, or at least the theme for it

I don't know if it's a spec or if this is correct, but I heard 59.94 is the real refresh rate for most TVs and that it's presented only on HDMI (shouldn't exist for DP, VGA, or ideally HDMI on non-TVs). 60Hz is apparently just compatibility for old software not expecting a TV
    Mac's are running the most commercially-successful version of a *nix operating system ever created. And it's based on Unix, not Linux.

And 59.94hz is a remnant from analog TV days - it's double NTSC frame rate, which is 29.97fps, and interlaced. It's 59.94 fields per second, meaning every other scanline. When you interpolate 29.97 interlaced frames per second into individual progressive-scan frames, you end up with 59.94. This is how progressive-scan DVD players work, since DVD's are not progressive-scan frames at all (they're 480i). PAL was 25fps. Nobody uses fractional frame/sync rates natively in the digital era though. Film is 24fps and 23.976fps is from the NTSC inverse-telecine conversion from 29.97fps. Digital monitors only support fractional sync rates as emulated for legacy support. HDTV mandates standard 30hz/fps and 60hz/fps.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
      don't understand why monitors expose 59.94 and 60Hz
      59.94hz is for legacy support of NTSC streams. If you're using a computer or anything that outputs HDTV or ATSC, use 60hz.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Well, code exists. You can enable it, however, not via GUI.
        This has already been a standard feature of macOS and Windows for years now.

And the Wayland code has been there for years now too but they won't sign off on it and make it official. Why?

Comment

"A device switcher is added to the volume sliders."
          Finally !
          Hopefully we won't need the Sound input/output chooser extension any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Waethorn View Post
            Mac's are running the most commercially-successful version of a *nix operating system ever created.
            you are crazy, macs are not running android

Comment

Originally posted by Waethorn View Post
              And the Wayland code has been there for years now too but they won't sign off on it and make it official. Why?
              Due to edge cases with X11 apps, it would seem. At least this is what was said in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                AOSP isn't GPLv2.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Due to edge cases with X11 apps, it would seem. At least this is what was said in this thread.
                  Let's hope that Red Hat's push for Wayland across the board helps then. X,org is just languishing.

This is the same problem with legacy x86 on Windows. If x64 is the new exclusive standard, there's no reason to support new application development on x86-32. SDK's for 32-bit x86 shouldn't be made available anymore. Legacy x86 code should be sandboxed in an optional virtualization environment.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
                    Really great changes! I hope that 44 will also finally bring proper AppIndicators (tray icons) support (based on the new xdg spec). ;-)
                    I fear that there is no new xdg spec, just a proposal to create one. Which might take some time (if not years) considering all the parties involved.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      A quick search shows Google made about 30-40B last year from Play Store, and apparently 250B overall with Alphabet. Apple made around 360B.

Comment

Working...
                      X