No announcement yet.

NsCDE 2.2 Released As Retro Desktop Inspired By Unix's CDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite a rather ugly color (that can be changed) for the menus this does look quite nice. Compare this with modern user interfaces and see how clean and organized this. No element floating above and obscuring other GUI items. There is a lot to be learned from this type of design where things are clearly labeled, organized and grouped where it is supposed to be.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

This is quite cool.

I actually stopped development on OpenCDE (screenshots) once I was contacted by the team getting the original CDE open-sourced to help out.

In many ways though I regretted not keeping on with OpenCDE because the official CDE did have a few janky components such as Tooltalk that are a little too similar to things like Dbus and all that other crap that it would be nice to avoid. So in many ways I am really glad to see NsCDE is being worked on.

Comment

This is very nice for Sun worshippers. And we have GnuSTEP for the NEXT crowd. But for those of us whose first experience with Unix was in the form of an SGI box with IRIX and their 4Dwm desktop let me suggest this project that is trying to replicate that SGI desktop in full and not trying to skin some other window manager. It's called Maxx Interactive Desktop. The main developer actually acquired a Special SGI license for a lot of the original SGI code which of course is not open source. The rest of the Linux / BSD code that is used is.

Comment

Michael, the article comment link no longer links to this thread.
          Please fix it...

Comment

Looks like any GE Ct or MRI interface I ever used…
            ;-)

Comment

You neckbeard boomers are so funny. This is just a themed FVWM which you could have had at any time over the last 25+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                You neckbeard boomers are so funny. This is just a themed FVWM which you could have had at any time over the last 25+ years.
                Why insult others? Why do you use "just"? Looking at the GitHub project this seems like quite some work that they put in.

Comment

Not sure if it is going to be anyhow useful for me - but I still like the fact that it has been covered. Very cool project Great retro vibes.

Comment

So pretty, I love these retro themes (I know it's not a theme). Been using a Win 3.1 theme on Xfce for years now. For some reason the Firefox scrollbar doesn't play nice with my retro themes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                      So pretty, I love these retro themes (I know it's not a theme). Been using a Win 3.1 theme on Xfce for years now. For some reason the Firefox scrollbar doesn't play nice with my retro themes.
                      There are several options for the scrollbar appearance in about:config, they might help, google it.

Comment

Working...
                      X