Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender Introducing GPU-Accelerated, Real-Time Compositor

Phoronix: Blender Introducing GPU-Accelerated, Real-Time Compositor

The Blender open-source 3D modeling software is in the process of working on a new GPU-accelerated, real-time compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Man, I just bought "gaming" laptop, I opened blender expecting I could work with GPU rendering, but nope, I have to install pro driver, so I did, installer says success, but I can't even open blender with that, have to revert to adrenaline driver back.

That was on windows, I expected the driver issue on laptop gone after amd success on ryzen CPUs, but nope, it's as bad as it was before ryzen era.

And now I have to deal with two different driver adrenaline and pro. Like wtf is this? Why can't I just have one version of driver?

And also there's no straightforward way to run a software with dedicated graphic card. I really hate this gaming vs professional separation by amd.

And for Linux, I haven't tried it, but I expect it's better with rocm thingy and straightforward way to run on a certain graphic, you know DRI thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      Man, I just bought "gaming" laptop, I opened blender expecting I could work with GPU rendering, but nope, I have to install pro driver, so I did, installer says success, but I can't even open blender with that, have to revert to adrenaline driver back.

That was on windows, I expected the driver issue on laptop gone after amd success on ryzen CPUs, but nope, it's as bad as it was before ryzen era.

And now I have to deal with two different driver adrenaline and pro. Like wtf is this? Why can't I just have one version of driver?

And also there's no straightforward way to run a software with dedicated graphic card. I really hate this gaming vs professional separation by amd.

And for Linux, I haven't tried it, but I expect it's better with rocm thingy and straightforward way to run on a certain graphic, you know DRI thingy.
      - Blender *should* work with the regular AMD Windows drivers. What exactly was the app saying when it woudn't launch?

- There is away to set dGPU preferences, in the Windows graphics settings menu.

- You don't necessarily need (or want) rocm on a laptop APU... and actualy dGPU switching can be kinda annoying on linux, and thats if your laptop doesn't have any driver "quirks" like the dGPU not fully going to sleep in hybrid or compute mode. I did run rocm once on a 4900HS (as I was desperate to run an OpenCL video denoiser that was crashing on the regular OCL driver), but its a deal to install/use on unsupported hardware like APUs.​​

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

And people say everything on Windows "just works" and driver issues are a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And people say everything on Windows "just works" and driver issues are a thing of the past.
          I work in IT maintenance at my workplace. If Windows was that easy or good as some like to say it is, people wouldn't need me... Your average "click, click, click and it is installed" user have no idea what they are doing. When the "click, click" fails, then you can see Windows true ugly face. "Oh, what is that? I thought command line was a Linux thing".

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I work in IT maintenance at my workplace. If Windows was that easy or good as some like to say it is, people wouldn't need me... Your average "click, click, click and it is installed" user have no idea what they are doing. When the "click, click" fails, then you can see Windows true ugly face. "Oh, what is that? I thought command line was a Linux thing".
            It is more like that Windows defaults work more often then linux defaults, eg webrowser hardware acceleration just works out of box on every major webrowser but on linux actually none without tweaking on something like ubuntu.

Just when "real" problem starts on windows, it is 100 times more painful to fix then on linux,

Comment

Finally! The first open-source hardware-accelerated video compositing system!
              (Natron is a lie)

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

It is more like that Windows defaults work more often then linux defaults, eg webrowser hardware acceleration just works out of box on every major webrowser but on linux actually none without tweaking on something like ubuntu.
                I don't think this is true. Browser video acceleration is just a check mark on a long list of things to have a "usable" computer, and one on the lower corner of priorities. A Linux desktop like Ubuntu is a system ready to go from the moment you plug the live USB drive, since out of the box it has more drivers ready, not to mention the much more complete list of day-to-day programs.

Windows comes naked, and if you couldn't get a driver via Windows Update, the dance to find one begins, as I recently had the pleasure to unsuccessfully try to find a video driver on the Intel website... Not to mention drivers for peripherals older than the current Windows version. And when you let the average user fill up the list of basic programs, usually the machine ends up with 3 times the number of programs intended, because "Joe/Jane click/click/click" grabs the first thing found on a Google search, and the bloat starts.

A pre-installed Windows is another thing, already coming with the system drivers, but with lots of bloatware that are a drag to get hid of, and a good source of calls to me to "fix" slowness on a machine.
                Last edited by M@GOid; 08 July 2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  A pre-installed Windows is another thing, already coming with the system drivers, but with lots of bloatware that are a drag to get hid of, and a good source of calls to me to "fix" slowness on a machine.
                  Yeah, windows is kind of fine from the users' point of view, if someone has set it up for them and they use only what's been provided. Any deviation from that pattern though, and problems start piling FAST.

Even expert users who can't refrain from "just this once..." live in permanent dread of "death by unavoidable upgrades", SPONTANEOUS updates at 8:00 in the morning, when you switch on your PC because you -need- to, you know, work? —AND POSSIBLY NOW!!!—, inexplicable progressive slowdowns, sudden hour long 100% system hogs "brought to you by TrustedInstaller", Idle Tasks, Sudden Defrag™ during Windows Search Reindexing, while .Net Assembly rebuilds its Cache, while "let's YOLO a virus scan, because.", and other useless fuckeries* which you must let complete—else they'II fscking restart from the top every time—, wonky drivers that suddenly stop working without a peep (printers are egregious here), spontaneous reboots (very fun while streaming), gremlins, poltergeist and mysterious inscrutable numeric errors, which won't let you finish your work... neither in peace, nor in time!

My favourite windows feature is the supposed bane of tech support. The mighty ever new system-restore-functionalities and Automatic-Problem-Resolution. They're pure MAGIC.
                  If you have any problem, you can call upon them to... utterly destroy your system. That is, if you can get them to do anything at all...
                  Because they'd usually fail after hours of grinding, with a laconic message on the lines of: "I couldn't distr... err... RESTORE your system." BYE!

Yet I'm so happy about it!

Yes! Happy. Because it allows entire companies to thrive on the shoulders of this giant's unending shortcomings—and we need jobs.

It's the gift that keeps on giving! I LOVE IT!

*Also called MS System components
                  Last edited by _ReD_; 08 July 2022, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Bet they will make this once again Nvidia-only for a couple years…

Comment

Working...
                    X