Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Time Comes For GTK5, It Might Be Wayland-Only On Linux

Phoronix: When Time Comes For GTK5, It Might Be Wayland-Only On Linux

While GTK4 is still in its early stages and it will presumably be some years before "GTK5" even begins to take shape, GNOME developers are already thinking of ditching X11 support for that next major GTK release -- effectively making it Wayland-only on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'll be 2030 or so when this happens. I'm wondering how will Wayland be like....
    Considering GNOME is the most Wayland-ready desktop at the moment, things should be good by then.

Ready for another X11 vs. Wayland discussion? ;p

Comment

I wonder what that means for XFCE?

And for me that begs the question: How come some sort of XWayland sandboxed GTK4-on-5-compat isn't an option? Their own words are "The obvious issue is that X11 isn't getting any functionality, and GTK has already moved towards Wayland as the primary design for features and API already." So why not turn that code or the last GTK4 X11 release into a compat or a legacy for X11 holdovers? For bonus points it could run in one of those Rootfull Xwayland environments from the other day.

Why is toss the old baby out with the bath water so we can pamper the new baby in new bath water an option?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

And for me that begs the question: How come some sort of XWayland sandboxed GTK4-on-5-compat isn't an option? Their own words are "The obvious issue is that X11 isn't getting any functionality, and GTK has already moved towards Wayland as the primary design for features and API already." So why not turn that code or the last GTK4 X11 release into a compat or a legacy for X11 holdovers? For bonus points it could run in one of those Rootfull Xwayland environments from the other day.

Why is toss the old baby out with the bath water so we can pamper the new baby in new bath water an option?
        Quite simple, we talk about something that will happen in the not near future, either XFCE adopted a Wayland Compositor like Mutter or Wlroots then or it will run via Rootfull. Running Xorg on bare metal will not be a thing then anymore anyways.

Comment

At "volunteer-driven project" even the most serious reader started laughing

Comment

But isn't on *BSD stll X11 the standard?
            So dropping (future) GTK+ for X11 means also dropping (future) GTK+ for *BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
              Eventually BSD will go the way of the wayland too.
              Last edited by _ReD_; 03 July 2022, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
                If by then BSD doesn't support Wayland then BSD will be obsolete. As much as I don't like it we're being pushed to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Considering GNOME is the most Wayland-ready desktop at the moment, things should be good by then.
                  ...or at least there will be much more attention. That, with people then being unable to disregard wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm looking forward to XFCE switching to Qt which unfortunately will never happen because the project is more or less completely dead. Gnome and KDE enjoy large companies and funding behind them (Gnome is basically RedHat's product), XFCE is being developed by volunteers.

Comment

Working...
                    X