No announcement yet.

Firefox 102 Available With Transform Streams, Geoclue On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozilla, thanks for things we did not ask and ignoring nerd class that made you popular.
    only using it because i trust chrome less.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Isn't this the version where they finally fixed the hardware acceleration that was broken in version 98?
      On Fedora those patches (and more from 103/nightly) were backported to 101 and hardware accelerated video decoding got enabled by default on Intel and AMD. But for official builds it's hard to get patches backported if the feature is not yet enabled.
      I hope things work out smoothly on Fedora - VA-API support has been baking for a long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Not listed by Phoronix, so must not be that important to anyone.
        I agree the fix is noteworthy, but isn't VA-API still disabled by default in FF102? IIRC, they were aiming to flip it on in FF103.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

On Fedora those patches (and more from 103/nightly) were backported to 101 and hardware accelerated video decoding got enabled by default on Intel and AMD. But for official builds it's hard to get patches backported if the feature is not yet enabled.
          I hope things work out smoothly on Fedora - VA-API support has been baking for a long time now.
          I'm currently on Fedora with version 101.0.1 and VAAPI is still disabled for me.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Sounds liks a good move from the Fedora team. I'm on Manjaro so wonder why they don't do things like that?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I agree the fix is noteworthy, but isn't VA-API still disabled by default in FF102? IIRC, they were aiming to flip it on in FF103.
              Martin wrote 104 in response to that question in a comment on his blog, see https://mastransky.wordpress.com/202...rave-fedorans/

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I'm currently on Fedora with version 101.0.1 and VAAPI is still disabled for me.
                Did you follow the instructions on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firef..._acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

In case you have Intel hardware you'll likely need to install the intel-media-driver package - which in Fedora 36 still needs rpmfusion-nonfree The patent-free version will AFAIK ship in Fedora 37 in the main repo. In any case, make sure vainfo reports something sane.

Comment

all of this innovation and we still can't play animated AVIF or even use subtitles embedded in a webm file, to be fair, the latter issue is an issue on all browsers too

Comment

Originally posted by wagner17 View Post

Did you follow the instructions on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firef..._acceleration?
                      Actually, it seems to be enabled. I was looking at the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                      X