Firefox Nightly Tries For VA-API Video Acceleration For Mesa Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Well, then your observations probably are ancient and may not apply anymore by a large margin.
    It may very well be the case. I didn't get to use Windows that much since... Like 5 years ago? I still have the dual boot, but I seldom boot Windows nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Wait, there's people playing videos on Firefox on NUMA machines? What absolute nonsense people do sometimes...
      You forgot Threadrippers. They are NUMA workstations.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
        OMG. Year 2022 and Linux still renders UI in software mode.
        he told you the exact opposit. it was the GPU renderer who was ineffienct not the CPU renderer.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          The sad part is that only few applications use Qt Quick (parts of KDE System Settings and Discover do for example), which means the rest is still CPU based :<
          I found the error: QT/KDE... CLA war-.--

just switch to cinnamon and gnome.

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

I found the error: QT/KDE... CLA war-.--

just switch to cinnamon and gnome.
            Huh? How does the CLA war actually affect that? Or rather, how does one conclude that that's the cause?
            Specially considering Qt Quick does implement acceleration and parts of KDE already use it. It sounds more likely that Qt Quick never got as much traction as pure Qt with C++ due to habit and existing code bases. More so if we take into account that CLAs apply for contributing to the upstream project, not for using it downstream.

Comment

• Originally posted by billyswong View Post

You forgot Threadrippers. They are NUMA workstations.
              No, I didn't forget them, I ignored they were NUMA
              I thought only massive servers used NUMA. TIL.

Comment

• Originally posted by guspitts View Post
                Oh yes, please, make it happen. I am still on FF97 for that reason.
                I was in the same boat. Hw video acceleration didn't work for me with FF98 and beyond, even when passing MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1. If you happen to have MOZ_WAYLAND_DRM_DEVICE set, in order to point FF to the correct rendering device: the variable got renamed to MOZ_DRM_DEVICE in FF98. I just figured this out today and passing MOZ_DRM_DEVICE instead fixed it for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                  Huh? How does the CLA war actually affect that? Or rather, how does one conclude that that's the cause?
                  Specially considering Qt Quick does implement acceleration and parts of KDE already use it. It sounds more likely that Qt Quick never got as much traction as pure Qt with C++ due to habit and existing code bases. More so if we take into account that CLAs apply for contributing to the upstream project, not for using it downstream.
                  CLA war stops serious people to contribute to the project.

no sane person will ever help such an anti-opensource project like QT/KDE with their CLA war bullshit.

true opensource projects like gnome or cinnamon do not do CLA war.

Comment

• Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

I was just venting anger yes AV1 is the new standard for youtube but even then you have to pay to get the codec.
                    No.
                    Don’t confuse HEVC (h.265) with AV1.
                    HEVC cost $1 in Microsoft Store.
                    AV1 is free.

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post
                      CLA war stops serious people to contribute to the project.
                      We agree here. But it's not the point of the comment.

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                      no sane person will ever help such an anti-opensource project like QT/KDE with their CLA war bullshit.
                      No sane third party would ever contribute. Except people who use it and want to scratch an itch. Which happens to be most individual third parties that contribute to a project.

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                      true opensource projects like gnome or cinnamon do not do CLA war.
                      Irrelevant. Besides, KDE itself doesn't have one, AFAIK, nor do downstream project. Only Qt upstream has the CLA problem, which is the actual point. Since Qt Quick does support acceleration, the answer must lie in downstream just not using it as much as they use plain Qt. But since those project do use Qt, it can't be because of the CLA in Qt that they don't use Qt Quick.

CLA wars are definitely a problem, I just don't see how they affect this particular situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X