X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HighValueWarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
    I think they will keep fixing tons of bugs in plasma 5.xx till next decade unless they stop adding junk and superfluous features.
    Quoted For Truth

Leave a comment:

• Firnefex
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That too. But also, waiting for a point release is usually better. There's a reason a lot of people aren't upgrading to e.g. Ubuntu 22.04 right away; they wait for either .1 or, in some cases, .2. And the same goes for a lot of other software.
    I would say that is not the main reason people don't upgrade right away. They just forget there is an upgrade or don't have time/aren't in the mood.
    If you don't know when the next version is released (true for most newbies) then you won't know if there is an upgrade. I only used 2 Ubuntu based non-rolling distributions long enough to get an upgrade, and in Mint you have to go into the Update Manager and look under Edit to maybe see an upgrade some time after the new release.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
    Tumbleweed is my daily driver atm
    Same here. I've been using Tumbleweed as my daily driver for, like, a month now and I've never ever experienced Plasma this smooth and bug-free (relatively speaking - of course, nothing is 100% bug-free). This is my first time using openSUSE in years and the first time as my daily driver rather than a secondary distro. If it continues down this road, I'll be using it for years to come!

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post

LTS is not stable by definition. It only means "Long Term Support".
    That too. But also, waiting for a point release is usually better. There's a reason a lot of people aren't upgrading to e.g. Ubuntu 22.04 right away; they wait for either .1 or, in some cases, .2. And the same goes for a lot of other software.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    That said, the mere fact that KDE devs saw fit to implement a "15 minutes bugs" initiative and that, several months later that initiative is not even close to done, is pretty telling on its own.
    That's another reason I mentioned version 5.24.0, even if it's a freshly released major version. It was released after the "15 minutes bugs" initiative has already kicked in, so I expected to have a reasonably stable experience. But I got the opposite experience, even worse than before.

Leave a comment:

• thalaric
    replied
    I don't know the exact reason, but Tumbleweed users should always update via "zypper dup" and not with Packagekit (Discover/Softwareupdater in status bar), which is a bit of a downside for new users which only want to use GUI. Zypper is faster though and can be set to automatically update on a daily base of course...
    This isn't actually true anymore, package kit on tumbleweed knows how to do the right thing for the last few years. See: https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...mment/eiqkdod/

Tumbleweed is my daily driver atm (last time was a year ago), and the only bug I had inside of Plasma was a ...
    Same here, in fact I'm wearing my tumbleweed t-shirt right now. I won't claim that KDE is 100% bug free, I get the odd behavior or crash once in a while, but gnome3+ is so shitty for getting actual work done it wouldn't be worth using even if were rock solid, which it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• openminded
    replied
    was actually on Tumbleweed in mid February this year. It had Plasma 5.24.0. Shortly after a clean install it started to have the most bizarre bugs I've ever experienced on KDE like the crash I mentioned when turning the monitor off and on

> 5.24.0
    > 0

Just a piece of advice:
    If you're using any kind of rolling distro and you don't want to experience weird bugs caused by some new major DE version, postpone your updates until the second bugfix release for that major version. Or stop using rolling distros. Or choose your destiny as a bugreporter - whatever suits you best.
    In other words, awareness is everything.
    Last edited by openminded; 22 May 2022, 01:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied

LTS is not stable by definition. It only means "Long Term Support". And in the long run you get a more stable version, but not necessarily after a fresh major release.
    Not by definition, but the custom is not to include freshly released packages in a LTS release, so it is more stable at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by niner View Post
    From reading comments here I get the impression that Tumbleweed users are on average much more satisfied with KDE and especially its stability.
    Not only Tumbleweed, but also Arch or Neon. Other distros have the bad habit of pairing even the latest KDE version with older Qt. Which is a poor choice, since a lot of the bugs people see in KDE are actually Qt bugs.

That said, the mere fact that KDE devs saw fit to implement a "15 minutes bugs" initiative and that, several months later that initiative is not even close to done, is pretty telling on its own.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied

LTS is not stable by definition. It only means "Long Term Support". And in the long run you get a more stable version, but not necessarily after a fresh major release.
    Basically you are not even guaranteed a more stable version in the long run. LTS means "you keep getting bugfixes and security fixes without needing to upgrade your installation in a disruptive way", useful for LTS distros and other installations that are meant to not be upgraded for a longer time period (servers, for example).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X