KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Improvements & Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 5.25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, Baloo sucks. That's the only major gripe I have with Plasma (I'm a happy camper otherwise, with only some minor gripes).
    You can thank Nate Graham for making sure nobody is working on it anymore. (Oh, and dismissive comments like yours ...).

Comment

I'll take interest when they add in display ICC and gamma/brightness/contrast functionality.

Would be easy enough to do something like what wlr_gamma_control_unstable_v1 does for wlroots in the meanwhile.

Tried that out the other day, works just fine! Not full ICC colour control but at least it allows for some display management beyond night mode stuff which just shifts colours to be more red or blue (not what I need)

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        For me the only real issue in KDE/Plasma is damn baloo. Uses too many resources. Hell, it was causing my 5800X to constantly run at 75-80C while just at the desktop (and I have a large dual tower cooler). Akonadi is another. So make that two major issues.
        Is Baloo indexing content by default? I found that was resource intensive and unnecessary. You can also stop indexing everything and enable only for specific folders, such as ~/Music

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        Anyway, Wayland is still a no go for me. The whole Plasma desktop crashes seemingly at random times. Sometimes it recovers but sometimes I'm just left with a black desktop with unresponsive Plasma.
        What hardware/versions?

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

Is Baloo indexing content by default? I found that was resource intensive and unnecessary. You can also stop indexing everything and enable only for specific folders, such as ~/Music
          It's off by default in Kubuntu. I found that not indexing hidden folders/files drastically reduces CPU/RAM usage.

What hardware/versions?
          Using a Polaris RX 480 with the latest MESA 22.0.3

Comment

I have been testing out wayland plasma now and again, like just then, and for me it stutters game frames compared to X11.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
              ffs... I read this forum and I think I am doing something wrong.

Daily driver (8+ hours/day) using KDE Plasma 5.24.5 on wayland with scaling on a 4k external monitor...

...I have some very small issues:
              - yakuake shows on the monitor in the right: fixed with a window rule
              - sometimes I got a visual artifact here or there after suspend/locking: solved my minimizing and maximizing the window

But:
              - Chrome hw video decoding: working
              - Chrome raw draw: working
              - Chrome on wayland: working
              - Screensharing with mouse pointer on chrome: working
              - No crashes
              - I have a bit of customization
              - And sometimes I play a bit on steam
              - Sometimes I speed weeks without rebooting and no issues.

According to this forum i'm, a true outlier.

[AMD RENOIR, mesa 22.0.3]
              Does the session restore work yet in wayland? i.e. firefox windows restore in their own desktops instead of all crammed in one? or konsole windows restore in their respective desktops with same dimensions? X11 plasma is very stable and usable but plasma wayland still lacks very basic things

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I know, but it's still ahead of KDE Wayland session. For example, Firefox with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 on Gnome Wayland worked well for me, but some still say it's unusable on Plasma Wayland.
                I don't use Firefox, but chrome runs perfectly with the Wayland flag, even desktop sharing works

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Yeah, it seems to me they really care a lot about their code quality (avoid hacks as much as possible) which lead to decisions like removing desktop icons and tray icons. Before I tried Gnome, I didn't really like these decisions, but then I understood that this approach is the reason Gnome is so stable, even on Wayland.
                  They have a lot of hacks, their copy/paste on Wayland is a hack, for example, they just don't follow the official protocol, so in any environment other them Gnome, their apps will have problems communicating with the clipboard.

Plasma tends to follow the official protocol, and if no one exists for a purpose they create one, this takes time, but in the end, is the best for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I don't know a single app which talks to Wayland directly except for the Weston terminal and I'm not even sure it's indeed the case.
                    Firefox has a flag to run at Wayland natively, chrome does it too. Most KDE and Gnome apps run natively on Wayland, and a few native games using the last version of SDL can run natively too. Wine is far away to run on Wayland, and old closed apps and games will never be ported

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

Firefox has a flag to run at Wayland natively, chrome does it too. Most KDE and Gnome apps run natively on Wayland, and a few native games using the last version of SDL can run natively too. Wine is far away to run on Wayland, and old closed apps and games will never be ported
                      Don't both these applications use GTK for that? SDL, yeah, not, it's a library.

Comment

Working...
                      X