KDE Marching Ahead In March With More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not odd at all. It's tradition at Ubuntu (and Debian) to ship ancient versions of Qt. I'd say it's odd people keep using Ubuntu and complaining it ships with old Qt, KDE, whatever. Though that also seems to be a tradition, in a way.
    If Debian/Ubuntu actually did use the KDE Qt patch collection and just doesn't update it in a release's lifetime (like say Ubuntu 21.10 sticking with whatever patches there were 2 months before its release or whenever they do the feature freeze) then yes it'd be as expected, the odd thing is that they don't use the patch collection at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Personally, while I'm not a huge fan of Canonical, my reasoning has been that I hate the tooling surrounding RPM more than I hate outdated Qt and I haven't had time to maintain an install of a rolling release distro since that very problem drove me to switch from Gentoo to Lubuntu LTSes back around 2012.
      At the same time, you're mature enough to understand the choice you've made and not bitch Ubuntu LTS not being a rolling release (or viceversa).
      For this particular problem (Ubuntu+Qt), there's Neon, which almost everyone seems to miss.

Fwiw, while I have zero experience with Gentoo, Arch has been pretty much maintenance free, fro years.

Comment

Personally, while I'm not a huge fan of Canonical, my reasoning has been that I hate the tooling surrounding RPM more than I hate outdated Qt and I haven't had time to maintain an install of a rolling release distro since that very problem drove me to switch from Gentoo to Lubuntu LTSes back around 2012.
        +1000

One of the main reasons why I like Arch (and arch based derivatives) so much, the pamac manager is much simpler to use and has better tooling and it shows when you see something like AUR.

Comment

1. Have you tried running code which exhibits the problem against other compositors to determine whether it's Wayland or KDE or both that's required?
          2. I remember you being a programmer. (Weren't you the guy developing his own file manager?) Have you tried writing a minimal Qt project that produces the problem to narrow down what triggers it on the application side?
          Dude I don't even know which part of the desktop stack is broken.

Back on topic: The clipboard issue has been fixed upstream a long ago and Ubuntu didn't include the patch, some user said.

Comment

Originally posted by codewiz View Post
            Fedora and ArchLinux ship qt5 5.15.2 plus the KDE patches.
            KDE Neon too

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

they don't use the patch collection at all.
              As usual, anyone can go to https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=qt5 and look for 5.15.3, 5.15.6 or 5.15.8 and see that new Qt5 changes are ported to Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. (which is not so easy, as it can cause problems like untranslated strings).

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

If Debian/Ubuntu actually did use the KDE Qt patch collection and just doesn't update it in a release's lifetime (like say Ubuntu 21.10 sticking with whatever patches there were 2 months before its release or whenever they do the feature freeze) then yes it'd be as expected, the odd thing is that they don't use the patch collection at all.
                I don't care what they use, my experience with their products was pretty bad. Kubuntu was passable, I used it for over 10 years (didn't know any better), but at some point I tried installing KDE on a plain Ubuntu install and the result was a barely usable mess: wrong colors, leading to unreadable text because of lack of contrast, missing icons... Neon fixed all of that, but it didn't give me the up-to-date base I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

As usual, anyone can go to https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=qt5 and look for 5.15.3, 5.15.6 or 5.15.8 and see that new Qt5 changes are ported to Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. (which is not so easy, as it can cause problems like untranslated strings).
                  Okay, so in Arch the package android-file-transfer depends only on qt5-base as far as Qt goes, and the Ubuntu package depends on libqt5core5a, libqt5gui5, libqt5network5, and libqt5widgets5, so those packages should be equivalent. All 4 of those Ubuntu Qt packages point to this changelog (for the upcoming 22.04 release), which has only 14 package updates with 36 bullet points after the initial 5.15.2 release, and none mention the KDE Qt patch collection at all. Compare this with the Arch package, which has 133 patches (calculated using this in the package source, which counts how many commits there are after the last upstream Qt5 release), and that's after including everything that just came out in 5.15.3 (before that there were 305). Grepping through the Ubuntu package source doesn't turn up anything mentioning the KDE Qt patch collection or the link to it, and there aren't any mentions of 5.15.3/4/5/6/7/8 in there either. The patches folder in said package source only contains 17 patches (excluding the Debian/Ubuntu specific stuff) with 1146 lines including descriptions for each patch and whatnot, meanwhile using the command Fedora uses to combine the whole patch collection into one file results in 46321 lines, and that's purely the changed code with no descriptions per patch/commit, plus that's again only the stuff that 5.15.3 doesn't already have.

So unless they've just stuffed it in some corner that I didn't see (which is quite possible, the Ubuntu and Debian package/source code infrastructure feels rather arcane to me) I don't think it's fair to say that they use the KDE Qt5 patch collection, a few bits of it sure but certainly not the whole thing.

Comment

I love KDE Plasma - started using it after Canonical ditched Unity. I'm on Arch Linux now, loving it. Haven't switched to Wayland yet, too many issues, still rolling with X11. Will be interesting to see how far canonical go with Flutter.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      Dude I don't even know which part of the desktop stack is broken.
                      That's the whole point of the process I described. To narrow down what combination of things cause the problem and figure that out. "Minimize the reproducer"

Comment

Working...
                      X