digiKam 7.6 Released With Enhanced AppImage Build, JPEG-XL Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digiKam 7.6 Released With Enhanced AppImage Build, JPEG-XL Support

Phoronix: digiKam 7.6 Released With Enhanced AppImage Build, JPEG-XL Support

Version 7.6 of the digiKam open-source photo management software is now available with a number of enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does digikam's AppImage work? Does it include Qt and all the KDE libraries? Or will it pick up whatever I've installed on my desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      How does digikam's AppImage work? Does it include Qt and all the KDE libraries? Or will it pick up whatever I've installed on my desktop?
      Per their somewhat hard to follow release notes:

With this release we take care about upgrading the Qt framework with a LTS version. Since Qt 5.15.2, the framework is only published privately to the registered clients from the Qt Company. By chance, the KDE project deals with the Qt company to provide a rolling release of the whole Qt framework including all most important patches. This is the Qt collection patch used from now by the digiKam AppImage bundle. This allows digiKam to benefit from important fixes as to support the most recent version of Mysql and Mariadb database in QtSql plugin. Even if Qt 5.15.3 is just released as open-source, one year later 5.15.2, we will continue to use the Qt Collection Patch, as the last customer Qt5 release is 5.15.8. So there exists again a serious gap between the open-source and the customer versions of Qt.
      Bundled with everything that's necessary to make it run.

Comment

Michael

Possible typo or proof of time travel? I think "end of 2021" should be "end of 2022"?

Comment

I downloaded the appimage file but it won't run. Previously with 7.5, no problem. Anyone has success running this 7.6 appimage?

Error message:

digikam: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_module_open_full

(System: Debian Sid)

I guess it is possible to extract and patch the appimage file, but that would defeat the whole purpose.
          Last edited by ping-wu; 06 March 2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ping-wu View Post
            I downloaded the appimage file but it won't run. Previously with 7.5, no problem. Anyone has success running this 7.6 appimage?

Error message:

digikam: symbol lookup error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_module_open_full

(System: Debian Sid)

I guess it is possible to extract and patch the appimage file, but that would defeat the whole purpose.
            I have the same error on Manjaro.

If anyone wants to go down a rabbit hole, this link has links to all the instructions needed to patch this and get it running. This seems to be becoming a standard issue with AppImage.

Comment

Working...
            X