Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 42 Beta Released - Begins The UI / Feature / API Freeze, More Apps Ported To GTK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Some people care more about standards than others do. I personally think we should utilize the standards better than we do. Wouldn't most people want to access their music through the well-known location anyway? I don't see the big deal.
    Most people have a separate data partition, some share it with Windows, some with other Linux distributions. I can't move 200GB of music, because someone said this is the standard. This is not a standard!

Comment

"Most people have a separate data partition"
      Don't offend but this smells like windows xp era, when you have to do format c:, from time to time.

gnome's people doesn't make you to use gnome-music, you can easly install foobar2k/spotify/lolypop/plasma/sway or whatever you want.
      They do what they want and you do what you want if you meet in some place it's fine if not... it's ok too.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        I can't move 200GB of music, because someone said this is the standard.
        That's exactly why the standard allows you to specify a different directory
        Code:
        xdg-user-dirs-update --set MUSIC /random/directory

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Slowly catching up to KDE.
          Hey, let's not start another DE war.

Some people like GNOME; some people like KDE; some others like another DE...

Some people prefer cars; other prefer bikes... either way both work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

That's exactly why the standard allows you to specify a different directory
            Code:
            xdg-user-dirs-update --set MUSIC /random/directory
            Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. But it is absurd to use a hack for such a trivial thing. If you want, let's talk about how Gnome met the standards in wayland! Those are truly standards that should be respected and which on many occasions have not been.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. But it is absurd to use a hack for such a trivial thing. If you want, let's talk about how Gnome met the standards in wayland! Those are truly standards that should be respected and which on many occasions have not been.
              The xdg command is part of the xdg user dirs spec and is very well supported. I am not aware of any places where GNOME violates a Wayland protocol requirement. There are however certainly bugs or incomplete features which is true for all major implementations.

Comment

it is absurd to use a hack for such a trivial thing.
                That's not a hack, it's documented in the Wiki, while a GUI directory picker would've been more user friendly.
                I'm not sure about the deviations from Wayland protocol tho'
                Last edited by Vermilion; 22 February 2022, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

The xdg command is part of the xdg user dirs spec and is very well supported. I am not aware of any places where GNOME violates a Wayland protocol requirement. There are however certainly bugs or incomplete features which is true for all major implementations.
                  I have never written that xdg is not a standard, I have only written that it is absurd that for such a trivial thing, you have to do it manually, when the poorest music player has an option for it. Was it expensive? Too hard to do? Did it spoil the minimal design?
                  I am not against Gnome and I am not interested in DE wars, I use both Gnome and Kde, however sometimes these things are perplexing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

That's not a hack, it's documented in the Wiki, while a GUI directory picker would've been more user friendly.
                    I'm not sure about the deviations from Wayland protocol tho'
                    It's not a hack, but does a user really have to read up on a wiki to do something so trivial?
                    This is the point! Personally Gnome Music is still there on my Tumbleweed and I have never used it for that reason.
                    I guess I'm not the only one ...

Comment

I have never written that xdg is not a standard
                      I am not against Gnome and I am not interested in DE wars, I use both Gnome and Kde, however sometimes these things are perplexing.
                      I know, I was addressing your "hack" comment. It is a standard part of the spec, so I wouldn't call using the spec and associated tooling as intended a hack.

GNOME Music doesn't do any directory management at all. It relies on tracker which in turn uses xdg-user-dirs standard. There are some advantages to doing that including the ability to index, cache and process all the metadata before the app is even loaded since tracker is regularly doing that in the background which does make it very quick to sort though the data that it is aware of. The disadvantage for this design is that if you do have a lot of media you want to load on demand say from a network share or usb stick that you only mount occasionally, music is probably ill suited for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X