KDE Plasma 5.24 Released With Wayland Support In Increasingly Great Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I think they shoul've put the limit to 20, just in case, to cover all bases!

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

No idea really. I'd say not within a year. 1.5 years minimum. 2.5 years max.
      Nice, thanks for the reply! By the way great work with the Wayland support, it has come a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        "Increasingly Great Shape" for a long time now but somehow people keeps complaining about it.
        The reason is we all have different experiences. I'm running Fedora 35. Wayland defaults my monitor to 1024x768 and will not let me change it. Under X11 it smashes the desktop and reorganizes my icons. I have had to regress to kernel 5.15.18-200 to get my monitor to show 1360x768. Sometimes the latest and greatest doesn't work for everybody, that why in Linux we get options when we boot. Wayland is still a work in progress. I am sure they will work it out.

Comment

ngraham and KDE team

Thanks for all your work! I switched to Manjaro from Kubuntu LTS and the newer KDE Version shows so much progress. That is really incredible and works very well, I am still on X though.
          I just wanted to say thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

5.23 lost the **CUBE**, Cover Switch & Flip 3D window switcher. The last two are back in less elegant implementations but the cube is still missing. And I am afraid about this new "Overview" effect in the end replacing the current Kwin workspace overview with its macOS UX, which may be better for notebook use, but way worse for power users on the desktop.
            If you have been using KDE for a while, you should know that it is not used to removing things, when they do it is because it is necessary to do so. We can't get stuck on twenty-year-old technologies to preserve the cube and some other effect. It has been explained (you may not have read it) that these effects could come back using new technologies, of course I imagine this will happen in case there is a real interest, as I don't think it's the priority, but I think contributions will be welcome. The old panoramic effect is still there. Also the great thing about Plasma is that nothing prevents you from using other compositors, such as compiz, if you just can't resist without the cube.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

I am curious, any estimate (or just an educated guess) on when Plasma 6 will happen?
              Personally I'd rather seem them keep polishing and improving things gradually rather than try to overhaul everything all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

No idea really. I'd say not within a year. 1.5 years minimum. 2.5 years max.
                Are we gonna see vulkan backend in plasma 6 or sooner?

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                  ngraham and KDE team

Thanks for all your work! I switched to Manjaro from Kubuntu LTS and the newer KDE Version shows so much progress. That is really incredible and works very well, I am still on X though.
                  I just wanted to say thanks.
                  To be fair, half of the fixes you're seeing are probably just because you're a newer Qt, nothing to do with KDE.
                  But congrats on a good move. Been there, done that, couldn't be happier.

Comment

Actually most exciting for me is the better dual monitor support in Wayland, or so to say: the primary monitor can be selected and is consistent, and moves the panels properly.

This is a very welcome one... besides it actually seems to work properly for me now with the nvidia gbm driver too using nvidia 510 (I know, nothing to be done that nvidia wasn't playing balls for a long time, but I am happy anyway. I just couldn't get my hands on a decent AMD card when I had to replace my after my power supply decided to go up in flames).

I now may be able to give wayland a shot as a daily driver.

Comment

Seems a bit better, could even test my games on PRIME

When logging into Wayland however, the hidpi settings didn't carry over. Would be great if they ran some tests switching between x11 and wayland and made sure everything looked the same - we as uses shouldn't know we've switched

Comment

Working...
                      X