No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.24 Released With Wayland Support In Increasingly Great Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get my head around the UI layout of Discover & System Settings any more. Normally a hamburger menu is top-right, but it is to the right of the search box on the left. The Discover app has the settings button down the lower left along with 3 other sections that just seem weird to be there. Both application just seem to be trying to fit in buttons where there happens to be a space left over, rather than follow a particular design. Anyhoo, brilliant work from all KDE bods regardless, thanks!
    Last edited by mr_marmalade; 08 February 2022, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I feel dumb asking this question, but is that 10 fingerprints total or 10 fingerprints per user?
      I think they shoul've put the limit to 20, just in case, to cover all bases!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I just saw something that I can't unsee -- the smaller that wallpaper becomes the more it looks like the Firefox icon.

ngraham

Login/Lock Screen

Fingerprint authentication is now incorporated into Plasma. You can also enroll up to 10 fingerprints and use them to unlock the screen, provide authentication when an app asks for your password, and also authenticate you when you need to run a command with sudo from the command line.

I feel dumb asking this question, but is that 10 fingerprints total or 10 fingerprints per user?
        Pretty sure it's per user.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_marmalade View Post
          I can't get my head around the UI layout of Discover & System Settings any more. Normally a hamburger menu is top-right, but it is to the right of the search box on the left. The Discover app has the settings button down the lower left along with 3 other sections that just seem weird to be there. Both application just seem to be trying to fit in buttons where there happens to be a space left over, rather than follow a particular design. Anyhoo, brilliant work from all KDE bods regardless, thanks!
          Yeah we're gonna fix that in Discover for 5.25.

Comment

One step closer to KDE 6

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Pretty sure it's per user.
              Are you sure? That means, pre-login, there is some user data accessible? Because I don't think you can simply hash fingerprints and store them in /etc/passwd.
              Last edited by bug77; 08 February 2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_marmalade View Post
                Discover I have given up on long time ago.
                Settings, I just search for them, it's been years since I could tell what goes where. I mean, who can explain why Network has two entries: Connections and Settings? Or why the Hardware section has different entries for Multimedia and Audio (but not for Video)?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Are you sure? That means, pre-login, there is some user data accessible? Because I don't think you can simply hash fingerprints and store them in /etc/passwd.
                  Oh, I'm probably wrong then.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That is not the only place where you have user information. See `/etc/nsswitch.conf` for instance. Or the PAM subsystem is pretty powerful...I dunno the specifics of this but I am pretty sure it's doable

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

That is not the only place where you have user information. See `/etc/nsswitch.conf` for instance. Or the PAM subsystem is pretty powerful...I dunno the specifics of this but I am pretty sure it's doable
                      My point was user data goes under the user's home. I could be wrong, I don't know how fingerprint authentication works.

Comment

Working...
                      X