Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.3 Released With Better Interoperability For Microsoft Office Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by johnp View Post

I only know the basics of Microsoft Excel, but there is a free version available.

If you have a free Microsoft/Onedrive account, you can use the free, web version of Microsoft Excel here:

https://www.office.com/launch/excel
    That's not my problem, I have free access to Office 365 through my university, my problem is merely that I have no clue how to do the same in Excel and see, how it's supposed to look like

Leave a comment:

• johnp
    replied
    Originally posted by Artim View Post

I actually tried that in Calc 7.3, not showing any errors. But that last step with multiple operations doesn't seem to do anything. Plus I have no idea what the pendant of multiple operations would be in excel to see if that would result in anything different there.
    I only know the basics of Microsoft Excel, but there is a free version available.

If you have a free Microsoft/Onedrive account, you can use the free, web version of Microsoft Excel here:

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied

I actually tried that in Calc 7.3, not showing any errors. But that last step with multiple operations doesn't seem to do anything. Plus I have no idea what the pendant of multiple operations would be in excel to see if that would result in anything different there.
    It doesnt error, it just doesnt calculate. all the rows of the MO should always be different and random, using chained formula the rand function is only called once.

MO is the Calc equivelent of what if analysis datatables. Used a lot in MCMC, failure and financial analysis. All that breaks if you cant populate the iterations with new random values.

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by mSparks View Post

So I just tested in 7.2.5-4 (latest on fedora). Its still there.
    simple test case

D5: 1
    E5: =D5+Rand()
    E7: =E5
    D12-18: 1
    select D12 to E18
    Data->multiple operations
    Formulas: $E$7
    Column input cell: D5
    OK

All the answers are the same.
    If you repeat, but use $E$5 for formulas of multiple operations then every answer is different, even though E7: =E5

This breaks all the sensitivity analysis stuff we do and makes calc unusable and incompatible with basically every excel file we have. I'll try this again when 7.3 drops on the repo, but I don't hold out much hope tbh.

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied

I opened that "demo of the bug" file, in the latest Excel, and it produces three errors both in .ods and .xlsx file formats.
    So I just tested in 7.2.5-4 (latest on fedora). Its still there.
    simple test case

D5: 1
    E5: =D5+Rand()
    E7: =E5
    D12-18: 1
    select D12 to E18
    Data->multiple operations
    Formulas: $E$7
    Column input cell: D5
    OK

All the answers are the same.
    If you repeat, but use $E$5 for formulas of multiple operations then every answer is different, even though E7: =E5

This breaks all the sensitivity analysis stuff we do and makes calc unusable and incompatible with basically every excel file we have. I'll try this again when 7.3 drops on the repo, but I don't hold out much hope tbh.
    Last edited by mSparks; 06 February 2022, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johnp
    replied
    But I was logged in and talking on here.
    Thanks, at least one still there
    https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/...g.cgi?id=40626

Dates back to 2011, MO/Datatables is literally the only reason any of us use MS Excel since there is no better alternative, the implementation is (still) broken in LO and until its fixed Calc isn't a viable replacement. I stopped really looking when the one bug I was following was marked as by design and closed.

LO writer is an excellent word replacement though. been using that for a few years now (some non free fonts need installing to maintain the layout).
    I opened that "demo of the bug" file, in the latest Excel, and it produces three errors both in .ods and .xlsx file formats.

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied

You'll have to see for yourself if it has been fixed, I've never heard of such a problem. Or your search bugzilla. As for how to submit bug reports, you could just have googled that yourself, you would have very quickly found this every in their wiki: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport/en
    But I was logged in and talking on here.
    Thanks, at least one still there
    https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/...g.cgi?id=40626

Dates back to 2011, MO/Datatables is literally the only reason any of us use MS Excel since there is no better alternative, the implementation is (still) broken in LO and until its fixed Calc isn't a viable replacement. I stopped really looking when the one bug I was following was marked as by design and closed.

LO writer is an excellent word replacement though. been using that for a few years now (some non free fonts need installing to maintain the layout).
    Last edited by mSparks; 05 February 2022, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Anybody who says that Debian is unusable and WIndows is outdated are what they are: poseurfags who know nothing about Linux and its internals when Windows 10's scheduler outright destroys Linux's, especially on Alder Lake.. So anything such people say about LO being better than MSO is automatically garbage by nature of being an idiot and poseur who doesn't know the least about operating systems and applications.
    Watch your tone, you little a**hole! Just because you are literally insane doesn't mean you can just run around insulting people. Just because you arrogant piece of sh** think you ate all wisdom with the big spoon doesn't mean you are actually right. Windows is stuck in the last century already because they don't have a proper package manager, especially not as the default way to install programs, which poses an unacceptably high security thread since every program needs to make sure on its own to be up-to-date and update itself since the user can't be trusted to do so. Plus it has no dependency management whatsoever. If multiple programs need Python for example, they all have to bundle it themselves since they can't just tell the OS to install it if it's missing, plus programs behaving as dumb as you and need to install everything where they deem fitting, best without making that known through environment variables make it impossible to just tell the installers to only install Python when it's not already there. Linux can handle that for decades, MS still hasn't figured it out.

And yes, an Office Suite which only reason of existing is incompatibility with everything and thus screwing everyone over that wants to use an alternative, and that actively works against the users wishes can't be described as anything else than a steaming pile of shit!

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied
    Great to see this project to go from strength to strength.

Last time I checked (about v 6 iirc) there was a showstopper bug with random numbers inside multiple operations (always the same value), anyone know if this has been fixed? And if not where I should report it.
    You'll have to see for yourself if it has been fixed, I've never heard of such a problem. Or your search bugzilla. As for how to submit bug reports, you could just have googled that yourself, you would have very quickly found this every in their wiki: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport/en

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied

There is an official Microsoft package manager for Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Its name is Winget.

It is preinstalled in Windows 11, and is available for Windows 10 in Microsoft Store:

Code:
    ms-appinstaller:?source=https://aka.ms/getwinget

Other relevant sites:

WinGet is the Windows Package Manager. This project includes a CLI (Command Line Interface), PowerShell modules, and a COM (Component Object Model) API (Application Programming Interface). - micros...

I absolutely refuse to use a package manager in Windows. I want to have control over where non-Windows system stuff get installed to. Installers are still ideal for that very reason. The only things I am willing to install to default locations or use a package manger in Windows are are Visual Studio, .NET, SQL Server and all their respective addons and SDKs that depend on default installation paths to work properly. As far as I'm concerned, C:\, C:\Program Files and %APPDATA% should not be a dumping ground for all software and applications under the sun.

Even in Linux i don't use the package manager. Hell, I'm practically running on a Debian-turned-Linux-From-Scratch installation and compiled all my software and drivers from source code.

Anybody who says that Debian is unusable and WIndows is outdated are what they are: poseurfags who know nothing about Linux and its internals when Windows 10's scheduler outright destroys Linux's, especially on Alder Lake.. So anything such people say about LO being better than MSO is automatically garbage by nature of being an idiot and poseur who doesn't know the least about operating systems and applications.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 05 February 2022, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X