KDE Enjoys Improvement For Much Better NVIDIA Wayland GBM Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Enjoys Improvement For Much Better NVIDIA Wayland GBM Experience

Phoronix: KDE Enjoys Improvement For Much Better NVIDIA Wayland GBM Experience

A QtWayland module change has landed that should greatly improve the NVIDIA Wayland experience when running the KDE desktop on modern NVIDIA drivers offering GBM API support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How soon will this be released? Would be nice to use Wayland on my KDE install.

Comment

That would be up to the distro. KDE maintains a patch set for QT5, and its up to distros to then take that and build/package it.

Comment

Very, very nice. But the question remains: why did it take so long to realize you don't poll on a thread that has other stuff to do?

Edit: Yes, my 1060 is again happy with KDE/Arch. Still missing the night light, but that was never working on Wayland anyway.
        Last edited by bug77; 22 January 2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Cool, I guess, but I could never understand why people stick with a really open source hostile company...

Comment

It's up on Arch!

The difference is huge, went from unusable to much faster than X11. I might actually start using it now

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Very, very nice. But the question remains: why did it take so long to realize you don't poll on a thread that has other stuff to do?

Horrible reality qtwayland is 2014.

X11 is still shoving almost everything though a single thread until 2016.

So yes qtwayland looked at x.org X11 server and copied the mistake. Yes its taken them 6 years to finally start fixing it copied mistake.

You were not thinking this was a copied mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Horrible reality qtwayland is 2014.

X11 is still shoving almost everything though a single thread until 2016.

So yes qtwayland looked at x.org X11 server and copied the mistake. Yes its taken them 6 years to finally start fixing it copied mistake.

You were not thinking this was a copied mistake.
                I'm not sure how a history lesson is relevant here. I'm just curious how this misplaced polling didn't cause performance issues before. The obvious explanation would be polling takes much longer on Nvidia hardware than on AMD or Intel, but that's also strange and I have no data to back that up.

Comment

Originally posted by meir View Post
                  It's up on Arch!

The difference is huge, went from unusable to much faster than X11. I might actually start using it now
                  Yes, when it is made workable, Wayland provides notable progresses, such as to forget any previous graphical platform.
                  Last edited by Azrael5; 20 January 2022, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meir View Post
                    It's up on Arch!

Have you get the package from the repository, or installed it on your own?

Comment

Working...
                    X