Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 3.0 Will Have AMD HIP-Based GPU Acceleration

Phoronix: Blender 3.0 Will Have AMD HIP-Based GPU Acceleration

With the big Blender 3.0 release due out near year's end there was the Cycles X rewrite that landed and unfortunately removed OpenCL support in the process. While that left AMD Radeon graphics without Blender GPU-accelerated support, in time for the v3.0 release there is now AMD HIP support in place...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

According to the nice people in #blender-coders @ blender.chat, AMD is working from the front of their hardware catalogue and backwards as time allows. No real word on when (or even if) Vega and Polaris will receive support.

Note that the Blender dev portal mentions RDNA as being supported too.
    Last edited by ermo; 15 November 2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
      According to the nice people in #blender-coders @ blender.chat, AMD is working from the front of their hardware catalogue and backwards as time allows. No real word on when (or even if) Vega and Polaris will receive support.

Note that the Blender dev portal mentions RDNA as being supported too.
      I hope they don't hit too many snags. The ROCm github has been getting heated over the slow release of v5.0, and it seems like a lot of newer cards have very little support.

Comment

Why not Vulkan for compute?

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
          Or, in general, why not Compute Shaders?
          (I'm not joking - I'm genuinely wondering why not.)

Comment

As an alternative for AMD GPU rendering: AMD's own ProRender works quite well on Blender. It's what i use (and much faster than Cycles OpenCL).

Comment

Good question, given the [IRONY] very broad [/IRONY] ROCm support ^^

Comment

Let's hope they will not half-bake it for the sake of inclusivity, all the while presenting their green overlords in an unrealistic light.

Comment

"Eevee

Our high-quality real-time 3D rendering engine is being upgraded as well. The new design brings screen space global illumination, more efficient shading, improved volume rendering, panoramic cameras, and tight grease pencil integration. It also paves the way for GPU ray-tracing through Vulkan.
                  "

"A big target for the 3.x series is to move Blender to entirely use the Vulkan open standard. Vulkan and Metal backends for Blender’s GPU API are being developed. We expect these to be ready to replace the OpenGL backend by the end of 2022."
                  Ton Roosendaal shares on what's next after Blender 3.0 and beyond.

Seems to me that HIP is just a CUDA compatibility layer while the switch to Vulkan will be a lot more work to do

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post
                    They are talking about the viewport renderer, not the production renderer.

Comment

Working...
                    X