Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
    So. Will this be for Swing and JavaFX?
    AFAIK JavaFX is still proprietary, unless something has changed recently.

JavaFX was the trap Oracle set for business users by bundling it for free but then suing them for using it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Can Swing look great on Linux?

I don't like if I use an application and it looks ugly and alien like Motif or Windows 95. I want it to look native, or at least fresh and modern.
      Some examples here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pRgmWXeN1U...ookandfeel.png

Metal is what it always defaults to and almost everyone just leaves it at that. The rest are all ugly except Nimbus. This one was very nice looking and matched with the official Sun Microsystems Gtk2 / Gnome 2 theme (all broken now due to Gnome 3 of course).

You can see Nimbus / Solaris 11 here: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JnVO-iJxr...me-desktop.jpg
      It all looked very consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

AFAIK JavaFX is still proprietary, unless something has changed recently.

JavaFX was the trap Oracle set for business users by bundling it for free but then suing them for using it.
        This is wrong and/or FUD. AFAIK it never was proprietary. Oracle included it in some of their JDKs and then removed it again (I believe around Java 11).
        But the important thing is that it lives on as a separate project (I'd say that's even an advantage) that is open source and free (GPL with classpath exception like OpenJDK).

Comment

Cool, I was trying to run JOSM natively on Wayland the other day and ran into the lack of this.

Comment

Wayland is such a fucking mess, even if nvidia supports it now most people still aren't gonna be able to use it because of all the missing functionality. Whenever there's a problem with wayland, the wayland dev's answer is usually: "That's up to the compositor":

These wm and compositor devs have had 13 years to add in that missing functionality in a 're-inventing the wheel' kind of way since almost all of them use different implementations of it all...

But we're still nowhere near feature parity between common X window managers & compositors, and wayland ones. 13 years is not a small amount of time, I understand that these are big projects, but if 13 years hasn't done the trick, maybe the problem isn't the wm and compositor developers, maybe it's just that the wayland protocol is a flawed incomplete and barely feasible concept!

At this point I'm wondering if it hasn't all just been a waste of effort, developing and porting environments to wayland. Porting these things to wayland, or writing new ones even, has taken longer now than developing the entire environments from scratch for X took in the first place.

That is not ok. That does not invoke confidence about wayland. (Also: https://gist.github.com/probonopd/9f...5e3a9f2d1f2277 )

Hell, it's funny, even if you use wayland, you'll end up running pretty much everyhting through xorg anyways via xwayland lol. Why even install a wayland compositor as some sort of middle-man between you and xorg in the first place since that's the case?
            Last edited by rabcor; 27 October 2021, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              ...maybe the problem isn't the wm and compositor developers, maybe it's just that the wayland protocol is a flawed incomplete and barely feasible concept!
              Wait until this guy hears about the X protocol.... where you either draw using inefficient geometric shapes, or bypass the whole thing and just write directly to the buffers. Also, it is impossible to avoid screen tearing for simple things like Video... oooohhh... and there is no security, all clients can sniff all other clients input/output... and if you try to use multiple screens with mixed dpi, oh boy...

Wonder why these guys who knows nothing about the graphics stack didn't join X? What? It was not random guys? But the core X developers?!?! That started Wayland and designed the protocol?!??! What!!!
              Last edited by AnAccount; 28 October 2021, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post
                Also, it is impossible to avoid screen tearing for simple things like Video...
                "mpv" on X11 strongly disagrees here...

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post
                  all clients can sniff all other clients input/output...
                  That's a perk so you can automate stuff as a power user instead of a stupid casual scrub.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    That's a perk so you can automate stuff as a power user instead of a stupid casual scrub.
                    Fixed:

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                      That looks cool, I didn't know about it. Can we expect getting this in compositors... one day?

How about client negotiating global keyboard shortcuts? It shouldn't be that hard after all, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X