Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Trumpets The Success Of Their Chrome "RenderingNG" Performance Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    That "up to 0.5% improved battery life" is a game changer
    How the hell do you even measure that?
    Simple. You write the battery-level-reading function you would've needed anyway for the web Battery Status API, and then you wire it up to your telemetry system. Having access to battery drain rate data from hundreds of millions of devices, you can then run randomly controlled trials (aka AB tests) of the new code vs the old code.

Do not underestimate the powers of the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

50, 49, 46 for me - and that's on an ancient POS Atom box. So I think there's probably something wrong with your setup, since it's hard to imagine you're running something weaker than that.
      No idea what, but at a minimum if you haven't fixed the pulse defaults those numbers are likely to be brokenly-misleading just from having to power up the sound HW every time.
      Can confirm you were right, something was off with my setup. Did a fresh install of 21.10, and we're in business. Thanks again for confirming your numbers.

Audio Backend pulse-rust
      Max Channels 2
      Preferred Sample Rate 44100
      Roundtrip latency (standard deviation) 49.47ms (6.95)

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        Can confirm you were right, something was off with my setup. Did a fresh install of 21.10, and we're in business. Thanks again for confirming your numbers.
        Sweet. I take it you can't diagnose the cause, since you didn't mention it?

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Sweet. I take it you can't diagnose the cause, since you didn't mention it?
          Unfortunately not - not on that 20.04 LTS installation (that I believe was an upgrade of an upgrade, not a fresh install). And I tried quite a few things, but also still had the same slow latency. Always a great feeling to do a fresh install and work your changes gradually in.

Comment

Working...
          X