Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 93 Primed For Release With AVIF Image Support, Canonical Managing Official Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 93 Primed For Release With AVIF Image Support, Canonical Managing Official Snap

Phoronix: Firefox 93 Primed For Release With AVIF Image Support, Canonical Managing Official Snap

While the formal announcement has yet to hit the wire, releasing today is Firefox 93.0 as the newest monthly feature update to Mozilla's web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fuck you Canonical with your Snap crap !
    When will you understand that we don't want forced upgrades like in Windows 10 and other bullshit that exists with this packaging format ?
    Gnome 3 and Snap, and people wonder why I never recommend Ubuntu to anyone...

Comment

Wasn't this supposed to have some big Wayland improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Fuck you Canonical with your Snap crap !
        When will you understand that we don't want forced upgrades like in Windows 10 and other bullshit that exists with this packaging format ?
        Gnome 3 and Snap, and people wonder why I never recommend Ubuntu to anyone...
        holy shit quit your crying and use a different distro if you don't like it. there are more than 20 viable linux distros that are more than capable of being daily driven and you want to spend your time crying over how one of them decides to operate? why do you care so much?

personally, i've been using snaps for years at this point and they work just fine. in fact i regularly opt to use snaps even when i'm not on ubuntu.

the way the community absolutely loves to shit on everyting canonical does makes absolutely no sense to me given the fact that they have absolutely no ability to force you to use any of their stuff and almost all of it is open source. literally everything they have done over the last 10 years has been shit on. unity, snaps, mir, upstart, you name it, everyone hates it. most of it isn't even because it's bad, it's just because it's canonical.

then everyone just grovels at the feet of everything everything red hat does: flatpak, systemd, wayland etc. i get it that canonical deserves SOME criticism SOMETIMES, but this thing where we worship everything red hat does and shit on everything canonical does is so fucking pathetic.

Comment

Here we go again with avif lol. let's see if it sticks xD

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Here we go again with avif lol. let's see if it sticks xD
            JPEG-XL seems better in most scenarios, but browser support is a little further up the pipeline, as a flag in alpha builds.

I hope something sticks. Literally anything but jpeg and png.
            Last edited by brucethemoose; 05 October 2021, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post

the way the community absolutely loves to shit on everyting canonical does makes absolutely no sense to me given the fact that they have absolutely no ability to force you to use any of their stuff and almost all of it is open source. literally everything they have done over the last 10 years has been shit on. unity, snaps, mir, upstart, you name it, everyone hates it. most of it isn't even because it's bad, it's just because it's canonical.
              No, like me, most people react to Canonical's bad decisions, just because they like Ubuntu and want to keep it. And, making snaps the default standard for major things like the browser is a crappy decision.

Comment

Canonical Managing Official Snap
                Yeah, well Mozilla is managing the official Flatpak, so there! </child>

Seriously, though, given my issues with snappy's architecture and startup performance, that does make me glad I already switched to a Flatpak-provided Firefox on Kubuntu 20.04 LTS for the additional layer of sandboxing.

The portal support for Firefox is a little warty on 20.04 LTS but should be nicely ironed out in time for my upgrade to 22.04 LTS.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of snaps myself either, it's trying to solve a non-existing problem as far as I can tell. I'm not a fan of flatpak either.
                  I had multiple problems while trying both, software that just didn't work while just working seems to be the whole point.

Fedora (used to?) default to installing dconf-editor as a flatpak, isolating it from the rest of the system... so I couldn't access my local system settings.
                  I always run into problems running Steam through flatpak, while a 'normal' installation just works.
                  Snap feels slow any time I try it... the last time was about a year ago. Also, I tried dotnet using snaps and it just stopped working after (an update) about 3 weeks.

The only reason I sometimes use flatpak is when software really isn't available on some obscure distro.... then it kind of makes sense, in a way that downloading half a distro in order to run a single application makes sense.

I think the 'userspace container' thing is a bad distraction for Linux in general. Thankfully, debian and alpine don't default to them and likely never will... so it'll always be an easy choice not to use them.

Comment

Grumble, grumble, the appimage version of Firefox works great, startup is only slightly impacted, and zsync updates are small and fast. Throw in bubblewrap or firejail if you want sandboxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X