Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome 95 Beta Completely Removes Deprecated FTP Support, Reduced User Agent Info Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Agent reduce will badly impact many statistics platforms like statcounter.

Comment

Did anyone catch that new Idle Detection/Prompting that Chrome 94 introduced? So now if you Chrome users walk away from a Phoronix window to take a shit, Michael will know how long you were away from your computers; can suggest that you need more fiber in your diet.

Both Firefox and Apple are upset about that change.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Did anyone catch that new Idle Detection/Prompting that Chrome 94 introduced? So now if you Chrome users walk away from a Phoronix window to take a shit, Michael will know how long you were away from your computers; can suggest that you need more fiber in your diet.

Isn't this "just" Google standardizing what was already done all the time in some dirty and energy inefficient JavaScript?

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Isn't this "just" Google standardizing what was already done all the time in some dirty and energy inefficient JavaScript?
          More like Google making it easier for them to gather user metrics. Let's have that come built-in versus hoping they'll do it themselves or use Google services. Now anytime anyone uses the Google browser, Google can get even more accurate data to sell to ???? to get money.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Firefox is *so* much better than Chrome and no benchmark can tell me otherwise. Especially this latest Firefox with the revamped UI.

This isn't your Firefox from yesteryear, this is the real deal. Give it a try, you will *never* go back to Chrome, unless it's for like a quick one-off for something (I suggset having a quick, untouched Chrome separate from Firefox just to have that lightweight browser available).
            Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but Chrome speed advantage over Firefox is undeniable. And this come from a loyal Firefox user.

Heck, even Raspberry Pi default to Chromium now, and those are low powered machines. Here I had the displeasure of seeing it with my own eyes, on a old crappy Acer netbook with a AMD C50 CPU, Chrome open the freaking Wikipedia homepage faster than Firefox, with the difference measured in seconds (plural).

Unfortunately, you need to have a beefier machine to enjoy Firefox, because on low powered ones, the experience is not good.

Comment

More like Google making it easier for them to gather user metrics. Let's have that come built-in versus hoping they'll do it themselves or use Google services. Now anytime anyone uses the Google browser, Google can get even more accurate data to sell to ???? to get money.
              To be honest if Google wanted that info they would've taken it regardless in telemetry. By introducing this API they can at least save some battery, theoretically.

Is Google the right entity to introduce new APIs? That's a whole other conversation :P

Comment

I saw that, really creepy stuff. But not surprising, since most users don't care about privacy at all. In fact, they are upset when YOU don't engage social media like them.

Orwell didn't see that coming...

Comment

Well, I see a positive side. If there's a proper API and websites start using it, then privacy-conscious browsers can simply spoof this API instead of going after individual hand-rolled trackers and disarming them one by one.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but Chrome speed advantage over Firefox is undeniable. And this come from a loyal Firefox user.

Heck, even Raspberry Pi default to Chromium now, and those are low powered machines. Here I had the displeasure of seeing it with my own eyes, on a old crappy Acer netbook with a AMD C50 CPU, Chrome open the freaking Wikipedia homepage faster than Firefox, with the difference measured in seconds (plural).

Unfortunately, you need to have a beefier machine to enjoy Firefox, because on low powered ones, the experience is not good.
                    Yeah that's a fair reply actually. I was being absolutely serious, but also half-serious because Chrome crushes Firefox still in *some* benchmarks, but in real-world it's hard to tell, or in the situations that you just laid out.

But then again, Chrome ain't that much of a darling either. Probably better browsers out there if we're using that as a measuring stick. But your point still stands.

Comment

And nobody is talking about FLOCS.

Figures that most people here really can't see past their own noses.
                      Last edited by Sonadow; 24 September 2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X