X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

So a rant by Solus's maintainer is classified as "academic argument" but a response from a Gnome developer that specifically references such rants is considered "tabloid quality".

Excellent.
    Kindergarten-level courses in both reasoning, and reading comprehension, are strongly indicated; and---quite obviously---seriously needed. But, then again, you may need to start with the more basic of these courses...

Just for you---

"There is no such thing as an ‘empty mind’. ‘Empty minds’ are filled to the brim with garbage---hence the impossibility of putting anything into an empty mind."---Eric Hoffer

and (you may---no; make that "you WILL"--- need to get help with this one)---

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.‭"--- Mark Twain‭

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

"The Truth they are not telling you about “Themes”...

Wait...WHAT?? Are we allowing articles and comments from The National Enquirer tabloid, as valid points, into this academic argument ?

"...Here is a rebuttal written by...[a] GNOME Contributor..."

Oh, great. Now we're supposed to accept the sentiments of a Gnome Contributor as valid proof that all objective statements, which are not flattering to GNOME, are wrong. There are, obviously, some people who have never heard of the expression, "...a case of the fox guarding the hen-house...".
    Or, if they have heard it, it means nothing to them. Or they are GNOME apologists, and the only things that matter regarding anything "tech" is "new" and "bigger" and "change"; and, sadly, "...to Hell with any regressions".

"It's not what you know, or what you do not know; it's what you do not want to know."---Eric Hoffer
    So a rant by Solus's maintainer is classified as "academic argument" but a response from a Gnome developer that specifically references such rants is considered "tabloid quality".

Excellent.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    The people who routinely complain about GNOME in every thread, are mostly KDE users who have never used GNOME in decades anyway. GNOME is awesome and genuinely vastly superior to the KDE, which crashes at least once per day in my experience. But of course KDE fanboys are gonna deny that. They are gonna tell me that my own experience for many years now never happened, i am seeing ghosts. Yet you don't see many gnome users visiting every single kde thread and slandering it. Sad sad people.
    I used both for years and I currently even use both everyday depending on which machine I'm using. There are things GNOME does a lot better than KDE Plasma (Wayland session and Xwayland, multi monitor setups, robustness), and things that KDE Plasma does a lot better than GNOME (convenience, usability, customizability, tons and tons of productivity features).

That's pretty ignorant thing to do to categorize people just because you don't agree with them. Of course there are some trolls who screams how bad GNOME is and offending others - that shouldn't be the case. On the other hand there is substantive criticism as well - personally I believe it's a good thing to criticize unless there are arguments behind it and you respect your opponents.

KDE is being criticized as well for their lack of focus in making the stable environment and rather aiming for tons of new features (and new bugs) with every release - they're not perfect too.

Leave a comment:

• blacknova
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    The people who routinely complain about GNOME in every thread, are mostly KDE users who have never used GNOME in decades anyway. GNOME is awesome and genuinely vastly superior to the KDE, which crashes at least once per day in my experience. But of course KDE fanboys are gonna deny that. They are gonna tell me that my own experience for many years now never happened, i am seeing ghosts. Yet you don't see many gnome users visiting every single kde thread and slandering it. Sad sad people.
    Excluding a brief stint with E16, I've been using GNOME since 1.4, so no, I complain because I want it to be better.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• blacknova
    replied
    Originally posted by Drol View Post
    Does anyone know if external screen works with NVidia and Wayland?
    I haven't tested on laptop since I have no one with Nvidia right now, but on desktop it does work. Just not try it with nouveau it won't boot to desktop for me
    I've three DP monitors connected to RTX 2070S.

Leave a comment:

• Drol
    replied
    Does anyone know if external screen works with NVidia and Wayland?

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Here is a rebuttal written by Jordan Petridis, GNOME Contributor:

The Truth they are not telling you about “Themes”

https://blogs.gnome.org/alatiera/202...-about-themes/

The details are listed inside the above blog showing work is on the way for a working dark theme and accents with Adwaita as a base rather a hacking approach.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

"The Truth they are not telling you about “Themes”...

Wait...WHAT?? Are we allowing articles and comments from The National Enquirer tabloid, as valid points, into this academic argument ?

"...Here is a rebuttal written by...[a] GNOME Contributor..."

Oh, great. Now we're supposed to accept the sentiments of a Gnome Contributor as valid proof that all objective statements, which are not flattering to GNOME, are wrong. There are, obviously, some people who have never heard of the expression, "...a case of the fox guarding the hen-house...".
    Or, if they have heard it, it means nothing to them. Or they are GNOME apologists, and the only things that matter regarding anything "tech" is "new" and "bigger" and "change"; and, sadly, "...to Hell with any regressions".

"It's not what you know, or what you do not know; it's what you do not want to know."---Eric Hoffer

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by arQon View Post

No you don't, and you haven't for well over a decade: even Windows has handled this competently since at least 7 via Aero Peek
    Well, not really. Show desktop button on Windows fails to restore minimized windows if you run something else when they are minimized. For example you have many opened windows and you want to run something from desktop you use this button to hide windows and then run something from desktop. Now this button won't restore minimized windows and you need to restore them manually. It's working only if you won't run anything from desktop but if you can't run anything from desktop then why you need to show this desktop at all? You can run file manager and go to the desktop directory without hiding your applications but again what's the point of desktop icons then?

Leave a comment:

• bash2bash
    replied
    Nah

If it wasn't for Redhat putting all their resources behind gnome, and enforcing gnome on Fedora/RHEL, then gnome wouldn't be included in any distro, they would be left alone to rot.

Did you know that Redhat employees also hate gnome? Most of them use gnome in classic mode, or prefer to run Fedora Spins with alternative desktop environments.

Redhat is pushing the gnome agenda really hard, to get all distros to run gnome (like they did with ubuntu).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X