No announcement yet.

KDE Sees Another Big Batch Of Plasma Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally one of the annoying bugs I always hit was squashed: now when I mouse over entries in Application Menu (not to be confused with Application Launcher - genius naming right there), I am presented with the correct sub-menu. Believe it or not, this was a fix over a year in the making.

On the other hand, now my whole system shuts down seemingly out of the blue. Need to look into this a bit more, see how I can reproduce it reliably.

Also about: "Plasma Wayland with multi-screen setups will now remember their panels, wallpapers, and widgets across reboots more reliably." If it really remembers stuff more reliably, it sure doesn't put that to any use. Some things like Konsole or System Monitor are just gone if you log out of a Wayland session and log into an X11 one. The Panel is also shown on a different screen in Wayland than it is in X11. I wonder how much more broken it was if it acts like this when it's fixed.

Comment

just switched to KDE and when using Wayland the login manager crashes every time the display sleeps, its apparently fixed in this update

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Also about: "Plasma Wayland with multi-screen setups will now remember their panels, wallpapers, and widgets across reboots more reliably." If it really remembers stuff more reliably, it sure doesn't put that to any use. Some things like Konsole or System Monitor are just gone if you log out of a Wayland session and log into an X11 one. The Panel is also shown on a different screen in Wayland than it is in X11. I wonder how much more broken it was if it acts like this when it's fixed.
        What they describe being fixed is not the issue you are talking about. Wayland session to X11 session is different to Wayland session to Wayland session(as in you power cycled the machine or logged out and back in). Plasma Wayland with multi-screen setups log out and log back in and and stuff would be gone. Yes this is a fix leading up to allow wayland compositor restarting as well.

This does not have wayland plasma and x11 plasma storing this information in a identical way that would be a different bug. I don't know if there is a bug open for wayland to x11 and back migration with plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

What they describe being fixed is not the issue you are talking about. Wayland session to X11 session is different to Wayland session to Wayland session(as in you power cycled the machine or logged out and back in). Plasma Wayland with multi-screen setups log out and log back in and and stuff would be gone. Yes this is a fix leading up to allow wayland compositor restarting as well.

This does not have wayland plasma and x11 plasma storing this information in a identical way that would be a different bug. I don't know if there is a bug open for wayland to x11 and back migration with plasma.
          Yeah, the entire Wayland experience is kafkian like that: where you look, there's a bug that can't be fixed because of another bug that can't be fixed because of another one and so on. Meanwhile, you see people on this forum posting Wayland works fine for them.

One can only wonder what "fine" means if only now Plasma is starting to remember to put things back where it left them.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Yeah, the entire Wayland experience is kafkian like that: where you look, there's a bug that can't be fixed because of another bug that can't be fixed because of another one and so on. Meanwhile, you see people on this forum posting Wayland works fine for them.

One can only wonder what "fine" means if only now Plasma is starting to remember to put things back where it left them.
            The reality is not everyone uses every single feature. This is true for many of the bugs that they don't effect everyone. So users who just run wayland and never switch to X11 was not going hit the bug you were talking about as one group who not going to have the problem. Also not everyone sets kde to remember all the applications they have open when they log out. Instead some people like when they log out of kde for all open applications to be forgot of course for those they don't have Wayland to Wayland session or Wayland to X11 session or X11 to X11 session remembering problems ever because they have session remembering off.

The reality is more and more bugs that were claimed to be unfixable are coming fixable. Yes KDE developers are working on bring to wayland the means to kill compositor and not lose your applications. This will also bring the means to perform CRIU on wayland applications. Yes checkpoint and restore individual applications.

Comment

Working...
            X