MATE 1.26 Desktop Released With Some Wayland Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATE 1.26 Desktop Released With Some Wayland Support, Other Improvements

Phoronix: MATE 1.26 Desktop Released With Some Wayland Support, Other Improvements

After one and a half years in development of MATE 1.26 as a fork of the GNOME 2 desktop components, this release is now available with initial Wayland support and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Brilliant job MATE team!! The best keeps getting better.

Comment

Why is Mate still even a thing. 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
        Because there is a large group of users that maybe actually like the conventional desktop paradigm versus the whatever GNOME4X is these days. Personally, I hope either MATE or XFCE successfully move to Wayland before my favorite LXDE/X11 are dropped.

Comment

I'm using XFCE atm, kind of liking it to be honest. Bit disappointed they are having some slow down deciding how to tackle Wayland (understandable). If all else fails I can move back to Plasma on login; I do like the idea of Wayland, I just feel its not ready for ME yet as I need at bare minimal display gamma control (only custom versions of sway have this atm).

Comment

Looking forward to Mate's complete Wayland transition so that I can drop Plasma Wayland and run on a full GTK stack with Gnome and Mate.

Comment

The developers should focus on more critical problems then going backwards to keep alive a legacy environment. Linux has ~2.5% market share. Out of that hardly a significant number will be using MATE desktop. If they can use these resources in improving the user experience in general by contributing to gtk/kde plasma development or wayland itself that would be commendable.

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post

Because there is a large group of users that maybe actually like the conventional desktop paradigm versus the whatever GNOME4X is these days. Personally, I hope either MATE or XFCE successfully move to Wayland before my favorite LXDE/X11 are dropped.
                Any estimation of comparative numbers of users/developers?

As long as it is seeing actual development that is a good thing, though it always felt off they (and Cinnamon) bit off more than they can chew. For desktop apps atleast, they have the same vision with Cinnamon so a shame they dont share the effort there.

In relation to the components, since I am not familiar with the forked names, it may have been more obvious, but putting a one line description of what the component is in their release notes would probably help casual readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
                  Because its good, stable and it works. I've been using it on my server as GUI for last few years. But now switched to LxQt. But there is thousands of MATE users who still use it daily, it's also good for old hardware due to low resource hog.

Comment

Are they developing their own compositor or using an existing one?

Comment

Working...
                    X