Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Ends June With Wayland Fixes, More Responsive Plasma With Faster SVG Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
    One note about Skanlite: It is not *the* KDE scanning app, it is *a* KDE scanning app. A new one is in the works which supports multi-page PDF scanning too, called Skanpage. Check it out, it's pretty great already. Its developers also worked on Skanlite, and it uses the same backend library, so it has pretty much the same features, plus a few extras of its own. I expect it to largely replace Skanlite in the future.
    Just curious but why not make it another version of Skanlite, rather than a whole new program? Seems to me this would just obsolete Skanlite entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Just curious but why not make it another version of Skanlite, rather than a whole new program? Seems to me this would just obsolete Skanlite entirely.
      It probably will.

Skanlite is old code with an old UI, none of which are up to modern standards. To redo the UI required untangling tons of backend code, and once that was done, it was simple to put the features themselves into a library. With that done, writing a new app was not hard at all--much easier than cleaning up the old one. The new one has a QtQuick-based UI too, which automatically enforces model-view separation to make the codebase more maintainable going forward. But it's not a weird UI; it's very desktop-centric. I think people will really like it. When I found out about it a few months ago, I gave it a quick compile and was really, really happy. I've completely replaced Skanlite with it already for my admittedly fairly minimal scanning needs, and have contributed a few very (very) minor patches. It may be an early alpha, but it's quite a high quality stable alpha if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

On Arch:

Code:
        sudo pacman -S base-devel
        git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/skanpage-git.git
        cd skanpage-git
        makepkg -s
        sudo pacman -U ska**tab completion**
        That's basically a primer on how to install any AUR package manually.
        Thanks. It would be useful for users that programmers explain the way their software must be installed.
        Last edited by Azrael5; 04 July 2021, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Thanks. It would be useful for users that programmers explain the way their software must be installed.
          You're being sarcastic, aren't you? It's a way of installing 3rd party apps on Arch specifically. If it was already in official repo (or Flathub), Discover would show it as any other app. Besides most people use a tool to automate the AUR package build/install process and it's as simple as
          Code:
          yay -S skanpage-git

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

You're being sarcastic, aren't you? It's a way of installing 3rd party apps on Arch specifically. If it was already in official repo (or Flathub), Discover would show it as any other app. Besides most people use a tool to automate the AUR package build/install process and it's as simple as
            Code:
            yay -S skanpage-git
            Every Arch user has to do the manual way at least once -- to install the AUR Helper

Those same commands can be used to install yay and then "yay -S skanpage-git" will work

And I don't think he was being sarcastic. There aren't build instructions in the repo. For that matter, there aren't build instructions in a lot of repos. A lot of devs assume any random person is intimately familiar with the language and compilers enough to look a some code and know instantly what to do. Commercial GPL software tends to not post build instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Code:
              yay -S skanpage-git
              What about non Arch Oses?

Comment

What about non Arch Oses?
                This is an alpha app under testing. You're not really supposed to be able to install it yet, unless you're willing to figure it out yourself.

Some instructions for how to manually build kde apps is documented here: https://community.kde.org/Get_Involv...nt_environment

Otherwise, the commands will depend on whatever package manager your distro provides, assuming they have chosen to provide a package for it at all.

Comment

How to install it?
                  By compiling it, of course. Are you a Linux user or what?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Every Arch user has to do the manual way at least once -- to install the AUR Helper

Those same commands can be used to install yay and then "yay -S skanpage-git" will work

And I don't think he was being sarcastic. There aren't build instructions in the repo. For that matter, there aren't build instructions in a lot of repos. A lot of devs assume any random person is intimately familiar with the language and compilers enough to look a some code and know instantly what to do. Commercial GPL software tends to not post build instructions.
                    If you're going to install alpha software, either from a tarball or git master, you know what you're doing. And if you don't, then you're not the target audience and should stick to/wait for a stable release. So build instructions aren't really necessary for the majority of testers, unless the software uses non-standard compilers or non-standard build options need to be passed.

Comment

Ok. I'll wait for the stable release. Many thanks for your explanations.

Comment

Working...
                      X