GIMP 2.99.6 Released But Still No Idea When GIMP 3.0 Will Be Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.99.6 Released But Still No Idea When GIMP 3.0 Will Be Ready

Phoronix: GIMP 2.99.6 Released But Still No Idea When GIMP 3.0 Will Be Ready

GIMP 2.99.6 is out today as the latest development release of this popular open-source image manipulation program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It feels like a big case of feature creep, instead of focusing on the remaining work that keeps them from tagging a stable 3.0. Either it is because of the different new functionality being very separate from the porting and stabilisation work, and it's separate resources working on it, or it could simply be "other things are more fun (and less tedious) to work on", so new functionality is being prioritised in the moment, to further procrastinate having to do the GTK3-work.
    Or I'm completely off base
    The above guesses are based i
    On my personal experience, being a developer.

Any GIMP-developers with input, that actually has an idea of what's going in?

Comment

I'm starting to think we will probably see GTK5 being release before the GTK3 port is deemed to be ready.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It should appear right after GIMP 2.99. 999.21 appears.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Any GIMP-developers with input, that actually has an idea of what's going in?
          TL;DR: not every new feature was done by a seasoned developer with lots of hands-on experience programming GIMP, not every new feature is a major change with thousands of LOC changes and/or extensive research involved.

These two new features were contributed by new developers who do not yet have the experience to rewrite anything in GIMP to GTK3:
          • Template selector in Canvas Size dialog
          • Pinch gesture on canvas for zooming
          The Paint Select tool is being worked on by a developer whose primary expertise is with GEGL rather than GIMP.

That leaves you:
          • gAMA/cHRM chunks — done by major contributor, not a major change in terms of LOC changes.
          • Off-canvas guides — likewise.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

TL;DR: not every new feature was done by a seasoned developer with lots of hands-on experience programming GIMP, not every new feature is a major change with thousands of LOC changes and/or extensive research involved.

These two new features were contributed by new developers who do not yet have the experience to rewrite anything in GIMP to GTK3:
            • Template selector in Canvas Size dialog
            • Pinch gesture on canvas for zooming
            The Paint Select tool is being worked on by a developer whose primary expertise is with GEGL rather than GIMP.

That leaves you:
            • gAMA/cHRM chunks — done by major contributor, not a major change in terms of LOC changes.
            • Off-canvas guides — likewise.
            Thanks, so my guess that it's a resource bottleneck caused by specific developers being needed to get it done wasn't so off the mark then.
            I wish I could help, feels like adding only one new developer would help immensely, perhaps doubling the speed. But I don't know GTK or GIMP code base.
            Last edited by Azpegath; 08 May 2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

The Quest for GIMP 3, more arduous than wading through Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant novels.

Comment

Gimp 3.0: When 17 years turns into 30

Comment

Congrats to the Gimp developers. You guys need to cut them some slack. The ground keeps moving under their feet especially since they have to make it work with both X and Wayland at the same time which eats up extra resources. Remember changes to the graphics stack effect some thing like Gimp much more than they do a text editor. The key thing is you can still get work done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                    Congrats to the Gimp developers. You guys need to cut them some slack. The ground keeps moving under their feet especially since they have to make it work with both X and Wayland at the same time which eats up extra resources. Remember changes to the graphics stack effect some thing like Gimp much more than they do a text editor. The key thing is you can still get work done with it.
                    Gimp is great, I have it installed and use it. I agree its not necessarily their fault. Its really no fun having to redo the same thing just to have the same thing really. But its when 17 years becomes 30

Comment

Working...
                    X