Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.18 Planning Begins With An Eye On Wayland Application Support

Phoronix: Xfce 4.18 Planning Begins

Now that Xfce 4.16 has been out for a while after successfully hitting its one-year release cycle goal and some maintenance updates to Xfce 4.16 have been made, planning for Xfce 4.18 is beginning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Features that Affect the Entire Xfce Core

Finally Wayland is coming to XFCE...

Comment

The most important yet omitted link: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

The most damning yet honest part of it which says it all about the "wonderful" state of the Wayland ecosystem:

We do not have the resources to maintain our own Wayland compositor
      Originally posted by chromer View Post

Finally Wayland is coming to XFCE...
      No, it's not, not in time for 4.18 release at least.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        The most important yet omitted link: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

The most damning yet honest part of it which says it all about the "wonderful" state of the Wayland ecosystem:
        As long as Wayland "works" for the "default" desktop who cares, right?

Comment

Then use an existing compositor. (?)

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
            Then use an existing compositor. (?)
            They either want to use Mutter or upgrade their existing compositor with wlroots.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

They either want to use Mutter or upgrade their existing compositor with wlroots.
              Nice, I think that it is a good idea.

Do you have any source for that? I'd like to read what the devs say.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

"We do not have the resources to maintain our own Wayland compositor"
                To be honest, they also don't have the resources to maintain their own X-server. Either way, they will need to do something. X.org is undead. it might go a long time, but no new developments. Obsolescence lurks in the future. Better to build on an existing Wayland solution than fade into irrelevance as an X desktop that couldn't make the jump.

You might not like the demise of X, but the people doing the work have decided. We better get with the program.

Comment

Finally. We don't have enough lightweight feature-complete Wayland-compatible desktop environments.

Comment

Xfce used to be my second DE.

There were two situations when I had to resort to it frequently:
                    - when KDE config files were using dynamically generated signatures for config files preferences, and after some break-up it would not load properly (this must be one of the stupidest use of signatures in the history of computing);
                    - when Qt changed that way sub-process signals were handled, breaking vlc, octave and other qt-based applications under linux/KDE. For some time I had to run Octave under Xfce until a workaround was used (it was another stupid decision).

I still like it, even though I fire it only occasionally. Hopefully, it will skip mutter and will have a solution based on wlroots or Mir.

Wish the current developers crop the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X