KDE Plasma 5.22 Will Better Warn You If Your Disk Might Be Failing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.22 Will Better Warn You If Your Disk Might Be Failing

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.22 Will Better Warn You If Your Disk Might Be Failing

One year into the pandemic the KDE developers remain as busy as ever advancing their free software desktop solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks to Nate for bringing back the Force DPI option for font rendering.

Comment

I think I just had a flashback to 2004.

Comment

2004? Maybe. But unfortunately non-integer scaling on wayland is still not very good (it is blurry), and the best way I know to get a sharp desktop is to keep the display scaling at 1 and scale the fonts (which still render properly). This is not specific to KDE, I do the same thing on Gnome (Tweaks -> Fonts -> Scaling Factor).

So, regardless of the calendar year, I am thankful that the KDE developers (Nate in particular) recognized that non-integer scaling on wayland is not always the proper solution and that they brought back font scaling quickly after removing it in KDE 5.21.

Comment

I meant AAC with a little bit of SMART because one of my first failed disks, well, failed around that time and it was the XP partition that warned me about it...to me those both seem like they'd be in random Windows program changelogs circa 2004 and that's humorous to me.

Never noticed the font scaling issue. I'm fortunate that 200% just works for me on GNOME, KDE, and Windows (4K 55" screen).

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
            But unfortunately non-integer scaling on wayland is still not very good (it is blurry)
            Are you talking about native Wayland applications or X11 applications running on Xwayland? Native Wayland applications are fine for me on 125% scale. X11 indeed becomes little blurry but that's X11 limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Are you talking about native Wayland applications or X11 applications running on Xwayland? Native Wayland applications are fine for me on 125% scale. X11 indeed becomes little blurry but that's X11 limitation.
              I don't know which type of application it was. But after mentioning it to Nate, I was pointed to this https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=433269 bug report that states that actually Wayland itself doesn't support non-integer scaling very well. This eventually prompted a reintroduction of that setting: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...e_requests/669. And that will make KDE usable again for me.

Comment

And will any love be applied to kmail at some point?
                This bug is really annoying

I have another, more serious problem that makes kmail unviable, but I think I've lost hope

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

In that case, our beloved Nate has reported a faulty bug report

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
                    So, regardless of the calendar year, I am thankful that the KDE developers (Nate in particular) recognized that non-integer scaling on wayland is not always the proper solution and that they brought back font scaling quickly after removing it in KDE 5.21.
                    Yeah, they fixed everything else and are now dealing with self-inflicted pain...

Btw, thanks developers for completely ruining the system monitor widgets (and removing the system monitor that used to fit on the taskbar in the process).

Comment

Working...
                    X