GTK 4.0.1 Released With Many Bug Fixes, Better Media Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    I just realized that either GTK3 and GTK4 have not icon preview picker selector...

https://jayfax.neocities.org/mediocr...le-picker.html
    Is this your article?

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
      It absolutely sucks to use in c++ though.
      Bare GTK or its C++ bindings gtkmm?

Comment

I just realized that either GTK3 and GTK4 have not icon preview picker selector...

I had actually forgotten that one...
        It goes with another teenager bug that makes scrolling through folders with many pictures really annoying.
        By the way I'm trying to solve it, it should be enough to fix the size of the thumbnails to a square. If anyone is interested this is the open issue https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1720

While these are minor issues, they can be deal breakers for some people.
        Worst of all, paper cuts like these show how little polished Linux really is for a wide desktop audience...

Comment

Why they develop GtkMedia and want expand it whileGstreamer exists and is matured? Maybe i am wrong but it sounds like NIH.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Is this your article?
            Nope just found on Diaspora...

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post

Bare GTK or its C++ bindings gtkmm?
              GTKMM. The problem is you can't autoconnect signal handlers to class methods in C++ so you have to write a bunch of binding functions. As soon as you create an application over a certain size, it becomes extremely inefficient to be writing boilerplate code all the time. C doesn't have that problem because all functions in C are public. But of course C sucks for text handling/memory management. It's a shame because all other parts of the API are actually very elegant. I would love it if GTKBuilder gave you the option of specifying the object name as a seperate variable to the callback function e.g a C++ project tickbox option. The gtkmm gtkbuilder interpreter would have to be modified of course, but it would make GTK the best API for linux GUI development.
              Last edited by DMJC; 12 January 2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

let's pray for zwp_idle_inhibit_manager_v1 protocol Support

Comment

Just now? It was reported in 2004. Almost 17 years ago.

As far I know GTK4 landed some fundamental work that can be used to implement proper file picker in the future. Of course if somebody will provide design and code. So there is some light but now please enjoy one of the worst file picker.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
                    uid313 GTK is Free. Qt is not Free. Any further comparison doesn’t matter.

GTK4 porting has started. Some GNOME 40 modules will move to GTK4.
                    Tracking GTK4 ports for GTK applications and libraries. GTK4 is a major new version of GTK, and porting from GTK3 to GTK4 is expected to take...
                    GTK is free, Win32 is not Free. Any further comparison doesn’t matter.

Despite that we have 1000 times more programs written in/for Win32 than GTK. Your idealism has nothing to do with what ISVs operate with. They don't give a rat's ass about "openness". They however truly care about long term API/ABI compatibility and maintenance costs and this is where GTK truly shines, oh, wait, I meant, sucks ass. Oh, and Qt looks somewhat better in this regard as well since Qt4->5 transition was a breeze and 5->6 promises to be even simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Just now? It was reported in 2004. Almost 17 years ago.

As far I know GTK4 landed some fundamental work that can be used to implement proper file picker in the future. Of course if somebody will provide design and code. So there is some light but now please enjoy one of the worst file picker.
                      This is something that I probably noticed many years ago but simply forgot even though I use that function regularly at my job on W10...

Comment

Working...
                      X