KDE's Development Focus Ahead Of The Holidays Has Been About Better Usability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aksdb View Post
    if I regularly use one of those partitions, I wouldn't want to manually remount them all the time.
    1. A simple double click is not that bad
    2. Nobody is saying that automount known drives can't be an option but to have the default to on is not so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruvv View Post
      I'm a long time KDE user and one thing that astonish me is this longstanding open bug:

After playing a game fullscreen with a different resolution, all desktop icons have changed position...
      Never seen this with KDE4 or other desktops.
      A workaround could be to use something like gamescope so that the resolution doesn't have to change to begin with, or use one of the fshack builds of wine.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      2. Nobody is saying that automount known drives can't be an option but to have the default to on is not so great.
      Not sure if it's the case here (I don't know if the behavior can be changed), but I know that sometimes defaults are chosen for discoverability, if you use plasma and this happens and you don't want it, you'll probably look for a way to disable it, if you use plasma and this doesn't happen odds are you wouldn't know that an option even exists. The only way I could think around this if there could be some sort of tutorial/suggestion system like you'd find on android or something along those lines, so people would be aware that the options exists.
      Last edited by verude; 12 December 2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        I am fairly out of touch with desktop environments that people subject themselves to these days. But isn't the best solution to just mount something when you double click it or try to open it up in the file manager?
        At the moment, if I plug in an external disk a notification pops up in the corner to open in file manager or some other options. Alternatively if I already have a file manager open like Dolphin, I just click the partition I want to access and it mounts it. In that sense not an issue anyway since I was going to access it either way.

Yeah, so if you've mounted it before - it is now recognized and you don't have to mount if you want to access it via terminal I guess or other situations where the mounting would have been triggered. They are just not auto-mounting all partitions for any external media connected, it's going to be TOFU (Trust On First Use) it seems. Not sure how useful that is with a terminal case, if you were wanting to enter /dev/sdc for example but due to other devices ends up as /dev/sdd.

Would possibly be nice for internal disks too. I have a partition that I always have to mount when I reboot. Dolphin restores my session but can't find the contents of the filepath as the partition isn't mounted, Okular attempts to restore but my file isn't available either so it fails, etc. At one point I do remember it ended up in fstab, I don't think I added it there either, but I had removed it due to some problem that was causing (can't recall exact issue, probably was mounting device path instead of a UUID value).

Something I'd like to see with Dolphin is more clarity of what partitions belong to what storage device, especially when the partitions are just labelled by their capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          If have automount disabled, since I have a few disks attached that have multiple partitions. One of the disks, however, contains a lot of games and is configured in Steam. If I forget to manually mount this before opening steam, I have to set it up there again because steam immediately drops the no-longer-found disk. If I don't notice it, I miss on automatic background updates.

That is a case where I would prefer if it automatically mounted this one, whitelisted, disk.

Comment

While the idea in general is not bad, two points give me headaches...

1. If this is meant to simplify usage of external drives via the Terminal, it's not.
            So instead of mounting the device with a "sudo mkdir /mnt/something && sudo mount /dev/somedrive /mnt/something", I now have to "sudo mount" and search for the drive between the other hard drive mounts and all the systemd-related mount points, to find out where the hell the thing was mounted.

2. If this is meant to simplify usage when using Plasma or KDE applications like dolhin... they already mount the partition when I use one of the functions to access it.
            Let's say I have a USB drive with two partitions on it, a live system for recovery purposes, and a data partition with some movies on it. So now, when I accidently access the recovery partition via Dolphin, instead of accessing the movie partition, the recovery partition will always be auto-mounted? How can I disable it for that partition again?
            Please tell me I do not need to edit an enourmous XML file somehere in ~/.config for that.

Comment

Working...
            X