X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andreduartesp
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanz View Post
    At this point, what still doesn't work with KDE on Wayland?
    This is the official list from KDE https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I think what you mean is, the list of things Wayland can't do because it's a project that only has the capability of being a (extremely limited) display protocol.... IOW, almost everything that Xorg -is- needs to be re-invented and not just once but by every single compositor....
    Yes and no. Having a well-defined protocol at the core is a good idea, then it separates the implementation from the sort of abstract part that makes everything tick, and possibly allows modularization of the display server and easier replacement of components or even the whole display server.

However, at the start of everything it makes very little sense to have dozens of separate projects working towards the same goal, especially when they have to create their own custom protocol extensions for the things that aren't "standardized" yet. This is why we after all these years only Gnome is working on Wayland decently. KDE's support is crap, Unity is dead and XFCE is not making any strives towards Wayland let alone all those legacy projects building on top of Gnome 2 and GTK2.

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    Wayland might be slow developing, but not sure how compares to the long history of Xorg/X server.. also consider that a relevant funding partner (can anyone confirm this please?) like Samsung pull out its support. Open source is amazing but funding is an in a issue if you don't have it sorted somehow. Look at those dick heads at Gnome, no fucking interaction at all with the community other than sending people to GitHub (can imagine a newbie?). But apparently Gnome doesn't seem to miss funds, I guess just a leadership problem. Hope the KDE project is gonna simplify its DE settings framework and I'll be more than happy to give it a go. I also still have a bit of faith in Gnome, perhaps IBM is going to inject some money and someone will try to establish a leadership or roadmap for the future, such a shame that such a polished DE is not able to create a 2 way communication channel with its user base (not developers! but everyday fucking users).
    Good night gnome, good morning ...
    Last edited by horizonbrave; 21 November 2020, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I think what you mean is, the list of things Wayland can't do because it's a project that only has the capability of being a (extremely limited) display protocol.... IOW, almost everything that Xorg -is- needs to be re-invented and not just once but by every single compositor....
    That is not true. You have the libwayland-server and wlroots stuff that provides a lot of foundation stuff included in. Yes libwayland-server includes parts that are not part of the Wayland protocol. What ever is provided by libwayland-server and wlroots each compositor does not have to-do themselves. So Wayland compositors can save themselves a lot of work by working upstream on the libraries they depend on.

Sorry the idea that lot of stuff that was part of Xorg has to be reinvented in every single compositor is not true. It has to be reinvented in a library that all the wayland compositors use in the ideal case. Some features reinvented outside wayland composer completely.

Remember Xorg was not the only X11 server and is not the only one either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_display_servers.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    KDE devs label Wayland support as experimental. So... quite a lot.
    I have recently tried KDE Wayland for less than half an hour and have reported 3 bugs as a result.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Nice to see the spectacle Wayland issue being fixed :-) This was quite annoying.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

Except the list of things that can't be fixed because of X11, aka the reasons why the Xorg devs created Wayland.
    Last edited by duby229; 21 November 2020, 08:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

XFCE has a simpler stack, the port to Wayland was easier than KDE port, they have fewer bugs.
    Xfce has never been ported to Wayland...

Leave a comment:

• useless
    replied
    Proper Wacom tablet support. I hugely depend on it.

Leave a comment:

• Lanz
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X