Kodi 19 Alpha 3 Brings Intel Integer Scaling Support For Pixel Art Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 19 Alpha 3 Brings Intel Integer Scaling Support For Pixel Art Games

Phoronix: Kodi 19 Alpha 3 Brings Intel Integer Scaling Support For Pixel Art Games

The third alpha release of Kodi 19 "Matrix" was released on Sunday for this popular multi-platform HTPC software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't get why they (Kodi) need to rely on the DRM driver or X11 xrandr settings to achieve this... there's this thing called "OpenGL Surface" and filter "Nearest"... hello...

I do get why it's good for Intel to bring an integer scaling mode for display upscaling. For example when upscaling a display from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 - using bilinear interpolation looks absolutely awful for text. It's fine for video and photo-realistic imagery. It's cheaper energy-wise to implement that at the DRM level, but it's way more flexible to implement it at the Compositor and/or Application level. DRM isn't going to know whether you're upscaling text or photos. Your app should.
    Last edited by linuxgeex; 02 November 2020, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
      I don't get why they (Kodi) need to rely on the DRM driver or X11 xrandr settings to achieve this... there's this thing called "OpenGL Surface" and filter "Nearest"... hello...
      Unless I misunderstand the situation, this is about Kodi configuring the graphics driver's scaling settings before launching a separate process which is probably closed source, probably based on SDL, and may even be old enough to not have a Wayland backend, let alone other non-X11 backends.

...sort of like how Windows GPU driver control panels let you force per-application settings on games that don't support things like anti-aliasing or how, if I ever get back to working on it, my game launcher frontend will handle common stuff games screw up, like using Firejail to stymie their attempts to put non-hidden folders in $HOME (some games, like The Escapists, use getpwuid or getpwnam to ignore $HOME so your options are either LD_PRELOAD or cgroups), suppressing the screensaver (you'd be surprised how many games fail this when you're using only a gamepad), and setting PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 to prevent crackling audio.

Comment

Indeed, the interconnection between Intel and integer scaling in Kodi is not quite clear. Emulators typically have built-in scaling. It’s possible that there is just some confusion, so there is probably no interconnection at all, other than that integer scaling in general proved useful under Linux.

Comment

Working...
        X