KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Not in 2007, when the betas of KDE 4.0 were out.

This obviously doesn't matter, but since we're talking about KRunner being an imitation of Gnome Do, it has to be said
    In my defense, the "introducing kde4" site that turned up as the first google result for KRunner had a date of December 2008, making it younger than Gnome Do. I didn't think to check up on KRunner's history at that time.

Comment

• Well a decision has been made. openSUSE is returning to it's roots and the default desktop for it is now KDE.

Hi all,

the topic of a "default desktop" was raised in July as a feature[1] in our openFATE feature tracking system by a community member, and it was a subject of a lively debate within openFATE and on the openSUSE Project mailing list[2]. The default desktop is an issue that many openSUSE users and contributors are passionate about.

After consideration of the project discussion I discussed the feature request further with the openSUSE Board and other leaders within the openSUSE project and came to the decision to follow the request: we will default the radio button to KDE in the DVD installer. Therefore, with openSUSE 11.2 release, the KDE desktop will be installed if the user accepts the default setting. Users can also choose the GNOME desktop at this stage.

We want to make clear that both desktops are considered equal citizens within the openSUSE Project, and this will not have any impact on the quality of the GNOME desktop within openSUSE. GNOME will continue to be offered as a top-level installation choice, and we will continue to strive to provide the best GNOME and KDE desktop experience.

Thanks to everyone for conducting the conversation in a professional and courteous manner and for the quality of feedback we've received. This shows the strength of our community, and it's good to know we can address the tough issues head on and remain focused on the project goals.

Best
      Michael

[1] https://features.opensuse.org/306967
      [2] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2009-08/

--
      Michael L?ffler, Product Management
      SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - N?rnberg - AG N?rnberg - HRB 16746 - GF: Markus Rex

--
      To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
      For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Last edited by deanjo; 20 August 2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        In my defense, the "introducing kde4" site that turned up as the first google result for KRunner had a date of December 2008, making it younger than Gnome Do. I didn't think to check up on KRunner's history at that time.
        The idea of Krunner apparently goes back to 2006. Here is a report from a meeting of the KDE Team from February 2007 ((http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/20070207):
        After that, we started the discussion on what needs to be done. The first thing to do is to get all the essential components that still are in KDesktop been moved away. We are at a good point at this, because everything but the autostart stuff has already been moved into KRunner.

KRunner is a new application for KDE 4, created to replace some of the KDesktop functionality, that will manage the screensaver, that will show a task list when needed (like the windows' key combo Ctrl+Alt+Del), that will provide a run dialog and that will manage app startup notification. KRunner will be a standalone app that will register global shortcuts and will show things on-demand.
        So it is early.

Comment

• KDE 3.5.9 at work
          KDE 4.1.4 at home
          KDE 4.3.1 soon

Comment

• I'm running KDE 4.3 at the moment. As a long term KDE user, I'd say KDE 4.2 was the first release that easily out did 3.5.10

The only real problem I have with 4.3 at the moment is if I stay logged in to the desktop for more that a couple of days, I find I need to kill and restart plasma-desktop to stop it being so slow.

Otherwise overall the best desktop environment I've used on any OS.

Can't wait for 4.4

Comment

• I have been running KDE4 ever since it was beta :')

It sucked (completely buggy) and never worked that well in combination with the apps (AmaroK mostly and Kopete was realy buggy at first) but I kept using it because I wanted to learn it from the beginning, and now with KDE 4.3 everything is just right ^^, It's easily the best GUI I have ever used in my entire life Hands down, but that's ofcourse my personal opinion.

I have and can handle them al, from Windows 95 to 7, Mac OS X, from Fluxbox to Gnome, back to E16 and E17 and up to KDE 3 and 4. But the only one I was never getting tired of was KDE4 and that's a whole lot of achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Well a decision has been made. openSUSE is returning to it's roots and the default desktop for it is now KDE.
                This is very optimistic I remember when KDE was default DE on many distros.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  This is very optimistic I remember when KDE was default DE on many distros.
                  Heh, on the same note the least popular openFATE feature in it's history is making Gnome the default desktop.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Heh, on the same note the least popular openFATE feature in it's history is making Gnome the default desktop.
                    Not really: Gnome is the only GUI that even your grandma could learn, that is usability tested and never breaks anything. It's a safe and smart choice.

However on the feature and technological side Gnome is an utter and complete failure.

That said; I'd rather run XFCE (netbook) if I wanted a stripped down feature set and KDE4 if I wanted a modern 21st century quality desktop (desktop pc), which is what I am running right now (4.3).

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Not really: Gnome is the only GUI that even your grandma could learn, that is usability tested and never breaks anything. It's a safe and smart choice.
                      No really, Gnome as default is the most voted down feature in openFATE history.

Check it out your self.

• Votes: 74
                      • Positive: 15
                      • Neutral: 1
                      • Negative: 58

vs

• Votes: 603
                      • Positive: 469
                      • Neutral: 9
                      • Negative: 125
                      Last edited by deanjo; 29 August 2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X