KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    Compare that with gnome, which depends on evolution, a mailing app that crashes several times a day.
    Never crashed on me. Neither did any KDE app, by the way. Except Konqueror, which can't handle Gmail.
    Compare that with gnome that needs mono for a simple notes app. Something KDE can do as a plasmoid.
    Not at all. Gnote is a clone of Tomboy, written in C++.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    "KDE apps don't work well anymore".... How come they work just fine for everyone else?
    Are you kidding? The whole revolution vs evolution is a pretty public debate. My experiences only confirm a widely held belief.

Comment

You're doing KDE an injustice, because you're holding on to old facts. Apps got fixed. The code got better. The first time I installed 4.3.0, from the first 2 minutes, I knew this was a better DE than any previous KDE (4 or 3) ever released. And the previous one (4.2.x) was the first that was able to completely replace KDE 3 for me.

Most of the flames and debates are about people who went emo because KDE 4 is not KDE 3. Bad publicity. But I don't care much. I see what I see, and with KDE 4 I work much faster and much more productive than ever.

Comment

@Remco - then you are a miracle. Because the net is full with evolution crash reports.

And the whole 'debate' dates back to 4.0 when idiots forced down a 'for developers only' version unto the unwashed masses (aka blame fedora and ubuntu). The first 'for users' version was 4.2. And it was a good version.

About gmail - I am using konqueror - even with gmail. And it works good enough. But seriously, why should I use gmail in a brwoser when I have kmail that can deal well with my 6 mail accounts - and my ca 500 000+ emails.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          I don't know why such a clean break was necessary on the library level. For all the innovation that has been going on, KDE still works pretty much the same way.
          Since the beginning major KDE releases were based on major Qt releases, so KDE 3.x is based on Qt 3.x, KDE 4.x is based on Qt 4.x.
          The ABI/API break did Qt with the forth version more than four years ago. KDE had to do the same, the use of Qt 3 in KDE 3 was exhausted.

As you say, KDE 4.x code compared with 3.x is not so mature, but 4.3 it works very well right now.

Never crashed on me. Neither did any KDE app, by the way. Except Konqueror, which can't handle Gmail.
          Konqueror is another story, the biggest problem is KHTML, we need WebKit Part, or another nice Qt browser, like Arora or Rekonq.

Comment

We can continue this debate forever. Some like KDE. Some like GNOME. I was interested in KDE 4.2, but got burned. This confirms internet talk, which was supposed to be out of date. Since 4.2 is supposedly a 'for users' version already, I'll pass on 4.3 and try again somewhere in 2010.

@KDesk:
            I've tried Arora, but that's also very young I think. Like everything, it needs to mature. Nothing beats Firefox at the moment. But I'm sure KDE will be a lot more mature when I spend next summer using it. Maybe I'll make it a tradition.
            Last edited by Remco; 17 August 2009, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Some like KDE. Some like GNOME.
              And some see the other dude's choice as "inferior" and try to justify their choice in the other project's (mostly non-existent) "flaws" rather than just come out and say they simply dislike it because of the "camp" they're in. That's not uncommon. If you follow a certain camp for a time, you get the first signs of fanboyism. Browsing through this thread, reading posts from both camps makes it obvious.

With that being said, I hope Gnome dies a quick death so humanity can rid itself from that piece of crapware.
              Last edited by RealNC; 17 August 2009, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Well, I used the other camp's DE for a month. I am some weird fanboy.

Next up: one month of Windows 7. Go the pure Microsoft way: only IE, MS Office, Bing Search, MS Paint and Visual Studio .NET are allowed.

I need a shrink.

Comment

You're doing KDE an injustice, because you're holding on to old facts. Apps got fixed. The code got better. The first time I installed 4.3.0, from the first 2 minutes, I knew this was a better DE than any previous KDE (4 or 3) ever released. And the previous one (4.2.x) was the first that was able to completely replace KDE 3 for me.
                  What's so much better on 4.3 compared to 4.2?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    gnome stopped working with 2.0. And since then they did not improve.

KDE did a big cut with 4.0 and with 4.3 they are surpassing 3.5.
                    Not 'many years'. It is already done.

Compare that with gnome, which depends on evolution, a mailing app that crashes several times a day. Compare that with gnome that needs mono for a simple notes app. Something KDE can do as a plasmoid.
                    Evolution has never crashed for me either.

Applications built with Mono are way more stable than ones built with C++ and they run way faster than equivalents built with Python. Keep bashing Mono, if you will - you are exposing your ignorance.

"KDE apps don't work well anymore".... How come they work just fine for everyone else?
                    One word: Konqueror. An ugly, crashy piece of shit that crashes every second page. "Works fine for everyone else" - yeah right.

Comment

Well, I used the other camp's DE for a month. I am some weird fanboy.

Next up: one month of Windows 7. Go the pure Microsoft way: only IE, MS Office, Bing Search, MS Paint and Visual Studio .NET are allowed.

I need a shrink.
                      Now seriously... Visual Studio owns away about everything in the UNIX world usuability wise IMO. Of course, you might get into trouble compiling any projects which don't have VC project files (not sure what stuff it can import though) on the other hand...

Same with Paint (in comparision to Kolorpaint, that is). This might be due to me being used to MS Paint though... And Kolorpaint is at least usuable

MS Office and OOo are about the same in terms of features, haven't tried Office 2007, but I guess it's usuability is a bit better because of ribbon and stuff.

Still, GNOME/KDE have a much better console (and console utilities like diff or scripting languages), MS's one is just a joke compared to these.

Comment

Working...
                      X