KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 parts.

1. I think you exhilarate the start times between KDE and gnome, its fairly close but I would crown this to gnome as you said.

2. People live in Saskatchewan?

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      1. I think you exhilarate the start times between KDE and gnome, its fairly close but I would crown this to gnome as you said.
      While I haven't actually timed it, KDE takes a very long time to start up compared to Gnome; you're right though that it's probably more like one minute than two, the 'oh god, all I want to do is log in a check a web page' aspect probably makes it feel longer.

Admittedly this is an Atom system with an Intel IGP so the performance is low by modern standards, but it's still a four-thread 1.6GHz CPU with 2GB of RAM, and logging into KDE is even slower than starting X on my old 486/66 with 8MB of RAM.

2. People live in Saskatchewan?
      Apparently .

Comment

• 'couple of minutes'? you mean 10-30 seconds.

'side sliding menus' what side sliding menus? Do you mean kmenu?
        change it with one mouse click to classical, if you don't like it. And favorites is just a great idea. No dev knows which apps I really need. I know that. I don't want to click more than once to reach them.

are you using something utterly broken like ubuntu? because you sound like that.

Comment

• gnome does not even start on 8mb

oh - and the 'long loghin time' just click the left mouse button. There is a bug keeping around the login splash for too long. Just click left mouse button and see for yourself.

Comment

• holy crap fellas. Watch your left clicks... Keep them under lock and key .

I do not experience this bug. Who here does?

Comment

• Originally posted by movieman View Post
              Other people I've shown KDE to who are used to Windows XP just can't get the menus at all. Is this similar to the way Vista does its menus? I have vague memories of seeing something similar there but have only used it briefly a couple of times.
              Vista expands submenus like a tree. This is a well-known UI concept, and IMHO works better than sliding to the side like in KDE, and better than the expanding to the side like in GNOME.

Vista is better in a number of ways:
              • It shows the parent of the submenu (KDE only shows a button).
              • It uses only vertical mouse movements (both KDE and GNOME need horizontal mouse movements)
              • You can peek to see what's in a submenu without 'going there' (KDE needs you to actually navigate to it, and move back out if you didn't find what you were looking for)

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                'couple of minutes'? you mean 10-30 seconds.

'side sliding menus' what side sliding menus? Do you mean kmenu?
                change it with one mouse click to classical, if you don't like it. And favorites is just a great idea. No dev knows which apps I really need. I know that. I don't want to click more than once to reach them.

are you using something utterly broken like ubuntu? because you sound like that.
                You sound like a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Remco View Post
                  You sound like a troll.
                  trolls are fine. Just dont !@#$ with dragons....

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    oh - and the 'long loghin time' just click the left mouse button. There is a bug keeping around the login splash for too long. Just click left mouse button and see for yourself.
                    Ah, thanks... I'll try that. It's hard to see what it could legitimately be doing to take so long to start up.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      holy crap fellas. Watch your left clicks... Keep them under lock and key .

I do not experience this bug. Who here does?
                      What bug do you mean?

Comment

Working...
                      X